MVVS 40 Petrol - IGN Question

FlyinBrian

Hi All

I recently bought a used MVVS 40 petrol engine, the instructions for the ignition system show and mention an LED which flashes to show battery state, self check etc. The engine came without the LED, could anyone tell me if this is a bog standard low voltage LED that plugs onto the pins in the Ign unit or does it require an in line resistor or other circuitry - i.e. does the ign unit have the circuitry built in to use a standard LV LED.

Ta for any help you can give

Brian

Advert

I dunno Brian, but surely the simplest solution is to try it with a series resistor first...say a 1K to limit any current flow to ~5mA (assuming a 4v8 power supply) and if it lights and is too dim try it with out the resistor....Of course, there may be a reason it came without the LED wink

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 16/06/2020 10:20:00

An MVVS 40 would be supplied with an ICU-L that is intended for use with 2s LiPo. The lead looks like it may have a tiny component under the heatshrink, but it may simply be a spacer for the leads on the LED.

MVVS can, of course, advise (keep the e-mail in simple English). The LED lead is available as a spare, so MVVS dealers should be able to get it, and MVVS should be able to supply directly.

Hope that helps,

John

I ordered some spares for one direct from mvvs, as puffins models has stoped 

at that time the only payment method was international bank transfer

for that I had to go into my bank and was charged £10.00 just for the transfer.

they may have got PayPal sorted out by now

Edited By bert baker on 16/06/2020 12:47:27

Posted by FlyinBrian on 16/06/2020 08:39:19:

Hi All

I recently bought a used MVVS 40 petrol engine, the instructions for the ignition system show and mention an LED which flashes to show battery state, self check etc. The engine came without the LED, could anyone tell me if this is a bog standard low voltage LED that plugs onto the pins in the Ign unit or does it require an in line resistor or other circuitry - i.e. does the ign unit have the circuitry built in to use a standard LV LED.

Ta for any help you can give

Brian

Your original post Brian, If the LED just plugs in?

Then decide on the size and colour of the LED to buy. They come in 2, 3, 5, 10mm etc, and they are Polarised

They have a + and -

The minus is the Long Leg. If the legs are the same length, then the minus has a Flat Spot, On the bottom Radius.

If the LED has no Flat Spot, look through the LED and the minus is connected to the largest " Flag " shape inside the lens.

Now you have the LED plugged in, you can work the protective resistor with V =I/R

about 75 ohms per volt. But as Flynn points out, just plug one in and see if the LED is bright enough.

This will save you £s and give you great repair satisfaction

Edited By Denis Watkins on 17/06/2020 08:50:39

Thank you for all your suggestions and help, I have got some Red LEDs from RS and will try the various suggestions given above. I also got a very quick response by MVVS to an email asking about the LED. It is available from them for 5 Euros plus PnP. I have ordered one anyway just in case.