Spektrum DX9 Setup- Help Needed!

Tosh McCaber

Hi Tosh. This my set up on Sailplane. Yours looks same as mine, only difference is on 'input config' page.

You have Aux 3 and 4 on the levers. I inhibited these simply as I'm not using them. But if you haven't anything plugged in those ports on your Rx it doesn't matter anyway.

Sorry I can't figure why your motor still works on the switch, and flaps on throttle, all I cant think of it must be 'mixed' in somewhere. All my 'mixes are inhibited.

If all else fails only suggestion left is maybe to start a new 'sailplane' program and start again.

img_20200625_231309.jpgimg_20200625_225306.jpgimg_20200625_224814.jpg

img_20200625_224746.jpg

Thanks for taking the time Ronaldo! And thanks to the rest of you guys who are taking the time to reply. I think that I am now close to cracking it. As well as aileron, rudder, and elevator, which were always as they should be, I now have my throttle stick controlling the motor separately from the flaps!

The flaps presently are controlled on the three way Switch D, presently with the three positions being Launch Mode, Cruise Mode, and Landing Mode. My next, and hopefully last problem to solve is to obtain Crow Landing. I'm a little familiar with this, but before, it was controlled by the motor stick on my Phoenix. I'm not using this model as a pure glider, and, whilst I don't mind having them, I'm not sure whether I need the three flight modes on Switch D. For Crow, is it Camber Preset, or Camber System/ I've set up a little negative (up) camber on Launch mode, and a bit of normal (drooping) camber on flaps only in landing mode. I would then intend to go to full Crow- but how?

So many questions.....

Can I have full Crow landing switched on D landing mode, or perhaps A? Or is there another, better way of doing it? As well, I read somewhere that, in Sailplane mode, the flaps can only be controlled by the throttle stick- probably untrue? (I hope!)

I'm glad to say that- I think that I'm almost there! Somehow or other I used a combination of Camber select and Camber Preset to come up with the Crow braking.

On central position for Switch D, I have Cruise mode- both flap and aileron neutral.

In Camber System, I move Switch D to Launch mode- very slight upward reflex on both flap and aileron.

Then I switched to Camber Preset, and dialled in a lot of down flap (not sure as to how much I should have?), and then dialled in positive reflex on the ailerons. I set the speed for the servos to traverse from Cruise into Crow for six seconds, to hopefully give a better transition.

Also managed to dial in D/R and Expo for Elevtor and Rudder, so hopefully, I'm ready for the field!

Thanks to all for your advice and help.

If anyone has any comments on my set-up (not sure whether I've gone about it the right way!), drop a line on the thread!

Great that you're making progress. I've also slowed the traverse speed to full crow . You may also need some down or up trim on elevator for full crow. Each model is different, mine needed a little down trim otherwise the nose would pitch up on full crow. thumbs up

Been following this closely and tearing my hair out at my attempts to get everything to work.

I have 90% + sorted and working well but for some reason I can't get the flaps to function. For simplicity I have the throttle on the stick and flaps on switch D. I have 3 flight modes only; thermal, cruise and land and have set camber for all three no problem. But, when I hit the switch in land mode to give me half and full flap there's no movement of the flaps at all. I know it must be something really simple and stupid on my part but I've spent all day so far with no result to show.

Any ideas?

Hi Steve,

The way that I have done it is via Camber System for Thermal and Cruise, using Switch D to select prior to moving the flaps and ailerons. Then, for whatever reason (it seems to work!), I went to Camber Preset, and dialled in my Crow with down flaps and up ailerons for Landing Mode. Make sure that you have moved Switch D to Landing Mode before carrying out the adjustments!

Let us know how it goes!

Well, I now have everything working although one little niggle remains. For the moment I've got throttle on the stick and flaps now assigned to switch C.

I've entered a Flap to Elevator mix which works but with one minor issue which so far I've not been able to resolve. I've programmed the flaps to activate over a couple of seconds but the elevator just snaps into place. If I slow the elevator down in the servo to match the flaps normal elevator operation is also slowed down; therefore not good.

So, antone know how to slow the elevator servo along with flaps but function normally at all other times?

On my powered models the flap to aileron mx slows both at the same time.

Edited By Steve Colman on 01/07/2020 10:39:43

I have about 10 Questions Steve, but here are a few.

Did set the model to " Sailplane " before programming?

So you set the " Wing" and number of servos

And you set the " Tail " and number of servos?

From the manual this note

Select wing and tail types before doing any other programming

You may already have found if left at " normal " there is no flap delay

Am thinking your problem is in this " Flap System " Window

And the original set up being done before programming

Edited By Denis Watkins on 01/07/2020 10:53:08

For gliders in the 'sailplane' setup the flaps, elevator, and if you also choose to use ailerons for 'crow' the throws and speeds have to be set up in the 'Camber preset' program, the speed option is found at the bottom of the page. This needs to be set whilst the switch is also in the chosen position for landing. It automatically sets up the speed on flaps, elevator, also ailerons if using crow, but retains the normal speeds for the servos once the surfaces have reached their preset positions.

If you set the speed up in the 'servo setup' program, the Tx thinks you want the slowed servo speed on all the time.

Hope this helps.

Edited By Ronaldo on 01/07/2020 11:09:35

Edited By Ronaldo on 01/07/2020 11:12:49

Thank you both very much.

I had done all those things Denis so yes the flap system would make sense.

Ronaldo, perfect solution and so simple once you know how.

I've programmed and reprogrammed one model numerous times over the past week and have learned so much. Now I think I'm there; until the next time of course.