Spektrum DX9 Setup- Help Needed!

Tosh McCaber

Calling DX9 owners. Sorry if this is a bit wordy! I am tearing my (little that I've left) hair out, due to the complete lack of instructions for the Spektrum DX9

I have a Phoenix motor glider, bought off a fellow club member. He helped to set up the model as a glider, in DX9 Sailplane mode, assisted by the motor. That is, the throttle is presently activated by Switch A- either full on or full off. The throttle lever works incremental crow braking. Various flight modes, Launch, Cruise and Landing Mode, are activated by the three way Switch D.

I'm not really interested in high level glider competition, with the associated need for all the bells and whistles. What I'm looking for is the motor to be activated by the throttle lever, so I can toodle around the field at leisure, or have the variable throttle to stretch a landing. I would still like the availability of crow landing for both flat field and slope, which I would be happy to have as a two stage setup on, say, Switch A.

Unfortunately, all the set ups that I can find on You Tube are for my intial glider type set up.

My existing Port Assignments are as follows:

1 THRO: Left Ail
2 AILE: Right Ail
3 ELEV: Elevator
4 RUDD: Rudder
5 GEAR: Motor
6 AUX 1: L Flap
7 AUX2: R Flap
8 AUX 3: Aux 3
9 AUX 4: Aux4

My thoughts are, that I need to swap the motor to either "Aux" 1 or "Aux2", and one of the flaps , presently on "Aux" 1 and "Aux2", being activated by "Gear". But where do I go from there??

At this point, I've decide to hopefully get some guidance from people who know more than me.

Can anyone help, please? Thx in advance.

Hi I have a Phoenix 2ooo and a 2400 great gliders. Both flown with aDX8 . Ihad a look at my TX and always have the throttle on the normal stick pos. the 2000 flaps on a Y-cord aelirons on the normal rx port. The 2400 has "crow" braking as it's a heavy old lump! Ailerons left normal port rt aileron to aux (6) .The switch A I use as a "motor" cut switch for safety. Don't know why your set up has split-flaps tho'- Switch D does all the flaps/crow.

Thanks for the above, guys. Unfortunately Whistler, the link to the manual leads me to the absolutely useless abbreviated instructions which come with the DX9! Thanks anyway.

What I am really looking for, if possible, is a step by step guide to go into the tranny, and go from a to b – that is, to have my motor activated by the throttle stick, and my flaps activated in two positions as a crow landing aid, activated by switch D. (Apologies- at one point, I miscalled stick D as switch A in my query above). Like you Linds, I use switch A as a motor cut-off switch for safety.

The reason for dual servos to the flaps- a) the model came that way! and b) it gives the oppurtunity to have switched coupled ailerons and flaps.

Thx again.

Hi Tosh I think the way forward i to dump this and start a new model memory and i'm sure the throttle will "normal" to channel 1 on the rx If it's a spectrum rx all will work I use a Lemon RX 6 chan and a 610 spectrum in the 2400 phoenix all work ok.

Hi Tosh I have my Hotliners on my Black Dx 9 with the motor on throttle stick. It looks like you are using the sailplane setup same as I am.

You need to unplug your motor from 'gear' on your Rx, and put the 'right flap' plug in. Then reassign 'right flap' to 'Gear' in 'channel assign' program.

Now plug your motor into Aux 2 on your Rx, reassign Aux 2 to 'motor. . Then on the Tx 'channel assign' page click next at the bottom of the screen to go into 'channel input config', and reassign Aux 2 to Throttle stick.

This is how I've set my hotliners and gliders up.

Ps I set my crow up in the 'camber preset'  program on a 3 position switch 'G'.

Position 1 no flaps for high 'Cruise' ... speed flying.

Position 2 for 'Thermal' ... a little down ailerons, and a little down flaps.

Position 3 for 'landing' ... crow flaps.

Ailerons still work in all positions. All deflections can be set on 'camber peset' page to your preferences using the roll button on the percentages slider to suit your glider.

Hope this helps

Edited By Ronaldo on 24/06/2020 20:52:51

Edited By Ronaldo on 24/06/2020 20:55:07

Hi Ronaldo.

Thanks for your advice. Carried out the mods to the receiver plugs. as shown in the right hand column below. Switching on afterwards, the readings on the Tx are as follows:

Went to Rx Port Assignments- swithed motor/ esc lead to Aux2, and R. Flap to Gear.

Then on to next Screen, after mods, CHANNEL INPUT CONFIG

modified to:

1 THRO: N/A

2 AILE: N/A
3 ELEV: N/A

4 RUDD: N/A

5 GEAR: N/A

6 AUX 1: N/A

7 AUX2: Thr
8 AUX 3: RLv
9 AUX 4: RLv

Unfortunately, after this, I'm still getting Motor activated by Switch A, and Flaps activated by throttle!! Just can't understand it! Where have I gone wrong??

Help! Solution appreciated!

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 25/06/2020 11:45:41

When I try to think logically about the problem- ( it's beginning to grind me down!!), what I need to find is the partition in the DX9 transmitter set up procedure that shows me Switch A controlling the motor, and the motor lever controlling the flaps. Then I can switch the two around. At present, I haven't found any place mentioning Switch A as a control! Can anyone say where that should be?

Thx for any help!

Toss My Caber me lad

Have a look on " Monitor " to see where switch A is allocated, and indeed see if it is still Swich A and flick the switch

to see the movement on " Monitor " screen

While you are in there, flick all your mix switches to see what they are joined too

And see too that what you think is the throttle stick does

Investigating further, I looked under Sailplane Type section of the Tx menu, and found at the bottom of the screen an entry- Motor: Switch A. I changed it to Motor: Thr. Stick. Switched on- still no motor control, throttle stick controlling the flaps.

Don't know whether there's a conflict with the flaps still contolled by the throttle stick.  Now, if I can find the section to move the flaps to Switch A in the TX, hopefully the set-up may work!

I just had a thought- does anyone know whether having the motor controlled by the throttle stick is possible on Sailplane setup?  Or will I have to go to Acro?

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 25/06/2020 14:52:50

Posted by Tosh McCaber on 25/06/2020 14:56:23:

Did you manage to have motor controlled on the throttle stick, Shaun? I'm more or less on a "new" setup at present- it's just the swapping over of motor and flaps control I can't find anywhere so far.

Yes, motor on throttle stick.

In Monitor, I can see that the throttle stick controls both flaps and motor. However, using the throttle stick on the model only activateds the flaps- no response from motor.

Mixing Monitor:

AIL > RUD Fmode

AIL > FLP Thr

Mix 0 FLP > RAL On

All the rest Inh

Doies this make sense? Thx

INH all of those Tosh

Then later, you can have a mix as you desire

E.g some Cub pilots like Ail > RUD mix, to bring the tail round in a banked turn.

But can switch this off with the mix1 switch, in order to make flatter Aileron with opposite rudder turns

Edited By Denis Watkins on 25/06/2020 17:32:53

Thanks very much Dennis- I now have motor working on the throttle stick! but the bad news is that the throttle stick is stil also controlling the flaps.

We're getting there! - But how do I sort out the flaps from here? How do I get them off the throttle stick, and onto Switch A, now it's not the throttle control, or Switch D, rembering that I already have flight modes- Launch Cruise Cruise Mode Landing Mode activated there. I guess that I can choose between the two switches, so long as i deactivate the throttle controlling the flaps!

Right Tosh, you or someone may have taken a channel shortcut to make connection easier

But your Tx and Rx rely on correct channel order

So check for TAER. Spectrum operates that order

1 Throttle

2 Aileron

3 Elevator

4 Rudder

5 Flaps

6 AUX1

You may think it is ok to plug this here and swap there but when Programming, your Tx doesn't know what you did.

Your Motor is Channel 1 Throttle

And your mixes must still have some residual connection to Flap

At some point someone may have selected Motor Low Flap down mix?

Check your monitor and watch for connected movement on the top line Channel 1

This should bring some boffs out of the woodwork

I don't know where the programming lads are hiding

Edited By Denis Watkins on 25/06/2020 20:38:33

Thx Dennis- that's the set-up that I use for my power planes. I understood in this case, that the difference is that I'm flying a motor glider. I've been told by quite a few glider guiders that the set up that I showed at the start of my thread was the way to go, with motor as an on-off switch. However, the way I'm setting things up is very much as a power plane. The initial setup was how the model was set up when I bought it.

Next question- hopefully I can still go with "Sailplane" mode, incorporating your TAER setup, and somehow then obtain my flaps/ crow landing setup via switch D?

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 25/06/2020 22:37:42