GPS lost plane finder/tracker

Just started playing with this tracker unit that cost £11.00 & the size is Size(L x W x H): 66mm x 46mm x 17mm/2.60" x 1.81" x 0.67" (Approx.) & weighs around 57grams

I have taken it out in the car & its been very accurate. "Down to 5-10feet" It works on the mobile network & i use 1P mobile as they charge £10 for 4 months & everything is 1p per minute. That £10 pound never runs out & is part of your calls. So a text is 1p & a 1 hour call is 60p. You can use the unit to track or just find a lost plane via one call & it will send back a google map of where it is for 1p.

This unit will do a lot more, but just as a simple sample if i send a text to the unit of "check123456" it will send back

Now, this has also been running for 7 days with no charging & i have asked for details from the unit about 15 times. The slight downside is if you try this on the move, it can be about 20 yards out. But when its static, IE crashed, very accurate. One other thing is the battery cover i believe would come off in a crash, but a good rubber band or tape would solve this.
For the price, I'm happy & i am sure there are many other uses.If you have a USB plug-in the boot of your car, 24/7 monitor.

Advert

Looks good Chris, I use the RSSI single strength on my TX to locate a 'lost' 'plane but that relies on the RX still being plugged in, when I say I use it what I meant was I have used it once when I lost a 'plane in fog (don't ask). Found it in the middle of a field of sugar beet.

Posted by Ron Gray on 26/06/2020 13:51:00:

Looks good Chris, I use the RSSI single strength on my TX to locate a 'lost' 'plane but that relies on the RX still being plugged in, when I say I use it what I meant was I have used it once when I lost a 'plane in fog (don't ask). Found it in the middle of a field of sugar beet.

Sounds like you were in the Norfolk area. The strange thing is i am in the kings Lynn area & i have been looking all over for a place i could practice on my own. Not easy out this way. Farmers will get funny about it & there is a lot of overhead wires around hear, plus quite a few wildlife trusts. The crazy thing is, i move up from London & there is far more places where i used to live. Within 1 mile of my house, there was 8 rugby/football pitches 2 large parks & 2 open spaces. cant win lol

I belong to a couple of clubs so have a choice of 4 sites, two of which are very close to me. I also go flying in some fields behind my cottage, farmers don't mind, but then I'm only flying DLGs and hand launch 'planes there, the big stuff is reserved for the official flying sites.

I've had that exact tracker in my van for a couple of years now, I looked into various PAYG packages and chose GifGaf as theirs lasts the longest with minimum use - mine has never been topped up from two years ago and is still working great. Once per month I call the tracker to keep it 'active'. The original battery lasted a month then would not hold a charge, so I wired it to an external 18650. It has various 'modes' incluing real-time but to maximise the battery life and keep costs down, mine is set to report on call, I ring it, hang up, and a few seconds later I get a text containing a Google Maps link. Click the link and theres your tracker, van, model, dog, toddler... it has many uses and seems to be every bit as good as the expensive 'contract' trackers - in fact I had a peek inside and its a uBlox which I know from experience are very good GPS units.  You can set it so it only responds to your phone, or to anyones phone.  The tracker was just under £15 from ebay, yours was a bargain at £11 

smiley

Edited By Phil Green on 26/06/2020 16:58:48

Posted by Ron Gray on 26/06/2020 15:45:33:

I belong to a couple of clubs so have a choice of 4 sites, two of which are very close to me. I also go flying in some fields behind my cottage, farmers don't mind, but then I'm only flying DLGs and hand launch 'planes there, the big stuff is reserved for the official flying sites.

I am a newbie & my local club is really sticking to the rules of COVID. &, as i haven't an A licence yet i can't even use the club or get any training. Just unlucky on when i took up the hobby & could of saved £100.00. what with BMFA & club fees.

Posted by Christopher Morris 2 on 26/06/2020 16:40:31:

I am a newbie & my local club is really sticking to the rules of COVID. &, as i haven't an A licence yet i can't even use the club or get any training. Just unlucky on when i took up the hobby & could of saved £100.00. what with BMFA & club fees.

With the advent of wireless buddy connection, our small club has one new candidate in the air.

He had a list of tasks to follow prior to arrival and master and slave are operated 2 mtrs apart

Posted by Denis Watkins on 26/06/2020 16:57:39:
Posted by Christopher Morris 2 on 26/06/2020 16:40:31:

With the advent of wireless buddy connection, our small club has one new candidate in the air.

He had a list of tasks to follow prior to arrival and master and slave are operated 2 mtrs apart

I spoke to the club & said i had a wireless DX6e & 8e, but they didn't want to upset the kart. I believe that the club is eligible for a grant of some sort to do with this COVID-19 & didnt want to lose this.