Aurora 9x

Hi, i have a Hitec Flash 8 and its been a great radio, however they have discontinued it and I worry that I havent got a spare to use as a backup, I,m looking at getting another hopefully an Aurora 9x so I can continue using my receivers.

If anyone has a new Flash 8 they dont want or a 9x Give me an email.

Is there any advantage to spending loads of cash on a new futaba (and receivers), I cant bring myself to buy Spektrum after having bad luck with the old DX6i and DX6

Regards

Glenn

I would suggest you look at the Jumper T16 or Radiomaster TX16S; both utilise the same multiprotocol module which will allow you to run all of the Hitec receivers you already have and others from FrSky, Spektrum or Futaba if you want. They are amazing value too with Hall effect gimbals etc, though some of the physicals are a little low rent as you might expect for the low price. You’ll also have to accept learning OpenTX which may or may not appeal after Hitecs more straightforward but less flexible OS. Alternatively you could plug one of the multiprotocol modules into any TX with a JR slot, though the choice of new partnership TXs with that capability is limited to the ones listed plus those from Frsky.

Edited By MattyB on 30/06/2020 15:21:22

More info on the Jumper radios (there are several, but all come with the multiprotocol module)...

...and the Radiomaster:

Here is the list of protocols the module can transmit, and a video comparison of the two radios - the Radiomaster is considered the better bet at this point by most people, though it's very close and the differentiating features may not be important to you:

PS - Richard Clark 2 will no doubt be along in a moment to tell you that I am an OpenTX zealot and should never be trusted , but in this instance the fact that these radios run OpenTX is not the main factor; they are just the only new TXs available on the market that can speak to your existing Hitec RXs. If you are prepared to ditch those receivers you can go with any other brand and avoid OpenTX if you wish, but that will result in a lot more expense and swapping of RXs. You pays your money and all that...

Edited By MattyB on 30/06/2020 16:23:43

been a Hitec user I contacted them when they announced that they intended stopping production of TX's, and they confirmed that they were, but they would be continuing with RX's and servo's…...that's handy info what Matty has posted about the jumper TX system....

ken anderson...ne...1..hitec dept.

Posted by Glenn Stevenson on 30/06/2020 19:13:20:

Not sure about the Jumper radio, prefer a name that Ive heard of.

Its a shame that the options are only expensive (Jeti etc), unreliable, cheap chinese or Futaba.

Hitec could have made a device that beat them all.

Glenn

I've never had a Futaba set, though I've had lots of JR. I've also been using FrSky for around 8 years now. Despite being a) cheap and b) Chinese, it has so far proven to be every bit as reliable as my JR equipment but at a much lower cost!

I can't comment on Jumper, Jeti or HiTec as I've never owned one, but I can say that being cheap and Chinese does not necessarily equate to being unreliable! Indeed, my experience is quite the reverse!

--

Pete

Posted by Glenn Stevenson on 30/06/2020 23:15:18:

Peter, I didnt say the cheap chinese were unreliable, I was including it in a list and refering to a popular brand.

Perhaps my wording wasnt very clear!

Following on from Pete's point above, it's important to understand the reasons why "cheap Chinese" brands like Jumper, Radiomaster and (most obviously) Frsky can punch above their weight against the higher priced big brand names. It's all about what they aren't paying for - marketing, extensive distribution networks and software development. This means their model has far lower costs, so they can invest more in the physical hardware and still hit a low price point.

The lower priced TXs from these manufacturers (Jumper T8/12, Frsky QX7 etc) are still only average in physical quality, but they are on a par with entry level sets from Spek, Futaba etc that cost £50-100 more. The higher priced sets like the Horus X10/12 really high quality, up there with the very best in terms of physicals - Hall effect CNC gimbals, high quality switches etc. This is why the likes of Hitec have pulled out of TXs - they were always a relatively small player and they can't compete with Frsky et al without completely changing their business model. It's a shame but at least you will have options that keep your RXs out of landfill if your existing Hitec Tx does pack up at any point.

Edited By MattyB on 01/07/2020 10:55:27

Posted by Glenn Stevenson on 30/06/2020 23:15:18:

Peter, I didnt say the cheap chinese were unreliable, I was including it in a list and refering to a popular brand.

Perhaps my wording wasnt very clear!

Regards

Glenn

I've had Futaba, Micron (home built), Mutiplex, Spektrum and Frsky (my current and most used) transmitters. The only failure I've had that needed repair by the manufacturer has been my Multiplex 3030 which simply stopped transmitting on a cold winter day. Fortunately, the problem showed up when I was doing initial checks before flying. Multiplex replaced the RF board FoC which was good because it was over a year old.

The only problem with my Taranis has been those navigation buttons which are prone to come loose. No electronic problems at all not of my own making. My Horus X10 is excellent.

Geoff

Posted by Steve J on 01/07/2020 11:41:55:

It will be a shame if Hitec have completely pulled out of the transmitter market. We seem to have lost quite a few transmitter manufacturers over the last few years.

But a drop in the ocean to the number we lost in the latter part of the 20th century!

--

Pete

Posted by MattyB on 01/07/2020 10:55:01:

It's all about what they aren't paying for - marketing, extensive distribution networks and software development.

And the level of QA/QC that some other manufacturers have.

I can only speak for Frsky (not Jumper or Radiomaster), but I haven't seen any real evidence of they QA on the TXs being any better or worse than the "big brands". Switches and gimbals on the cheapest sets will wear out eventually, but are fine on the £100+ models and up; everything else seems pretty solid. Their RF boards are certainly reliable, unlike the cheaper models of Spektrum where I have lost count of the number of board replacements some of my peers have had (DX9 and above seem much better though).

I know there have been known issues with some Frsky receiver models in the past, though I haven't personally experienced any - all my V8, D8 and D16 RXs have run faultlessly since I started with them ~10 years ago. Frsky's biggest negative point is the miss-steps made when EU regulation changes rendered their old protocols illegal (the first EU LBT firmware had a number of issues). They also do seem to periodically try to force obsolescence on their users with changes to their protocols (this has happened recently primarily because they were losing market share to Jumper and Radioamaster), though innovation from the open source community means it's never long before a workaround is identified! They aren't alone in that practise though - Futaba, we're looking at you...

It will be a shame if Hitec have completely pulled out of the transmitter market. We seem to have lost quite a few transmitter manufacturers over the last few years.

Sadly there's no doubt about that - they said in 2017 they would produce no more new TX models as they cost a lot to develop but were only a tiny proportion of their sales revenue:

Posted by MattyB on 28/12/2017 17:15:35:

For future reference - Hitec confirm in Dec 2017 that they have shelved all future TX development and the 14 and 16ch prototypes will not be brought to market... sad

“...We have been testing new beta versions of our 14 and 16 channel transmitters for the past year or so and I personally have been flying on them in my own personal airplanes, they are not vaporware as they exist and are functional- the 14ch itself was ready to roll into production and start distribution ASAP pending a couple small software bugs. The 16ch was nearly complete as well.

Over the summer this past year it was decided to NOT bring either one of these transmitters to market based upon worldwide market conditions and the associated high cost to produce, market, and support the product. It is with a heavy heart that we officially announce the cancellation of our new 14 and 16 channel transmitters, the projects have been shelved indefinitely. We apologize to everyone about broken promises to introducing new transmitters but transmitters have not proven to be our strongest point. Our current line of transmitters will still be produced and supported, and our servo technology is always ever expanding with new innovations around every corner.”

Once this generation of products becomes uncompetitive in the marketplace they were always going to be withdrawn, and it seems that point has come. You are right though, it is a shame as the Aurora in particular was always a great set.

Edited By MattyB on 01/07/2020 14:01:07

Posted by gangster on 01/07/2020 11:15:43:

I can remember the days when Hitec was regarded as cheap Chinese I took a while for us to realise the quality of the stuff was as good or probably better than the mainstream Japanese stuff

I understand even Futaba was dismissed in the early days as "cheap tat" - seems ridiculous now hey! They aren't my favourite - I find the programming somewhat illogical - but they have remained where almost all of their competitors from back then have disappeared.

Most of my early experience of far eastern products were to do with motorcycles in the early 60s - Honda being the primary one. However their first small capacity modesl had astonishing performance for their size (eg 125cc Benly) and once they started manufacturing bigger bikes (450cc Dream) in 1965ish they demonstrated their quality and destroyed to a large extent the traditional Britsh manufacturers. Somwhow Spanish manufacturers managed to hold their own with competition bikes albeit with some British input (eg Sammy Miller and Mick Andrews)

I've learned never to underestimate the determination of new entrants to a market to succeed. That applies to aeromodelling products as much as (say) cameras or cars.

Geoff

Posted by MattyB on 30/06/2020 15:54:16:

.........PS - Richard Clark 2 will no doubt be along in a moment to tell you that I am an OpenTX zealot and should never be trusted , but in this instance the fact that these radios run OpenTX is not the main factor; they are just the only new TXs available on the market that can speak to your existing Hitec RXs. If you are prepared to ditch those receivers you can go with any other brand and avoid OpenTX if you wish, but that will result in a lot more expense and swapping of RXs. You pays your money and all that...

Edited By MattyB on 30/06/2020 16:23:43

Well, you ARE an OpenTx zealot . However I think you CAN be trusted

I could even be tempted to buy an OpenTx transmitter, provided it is made by somebody who might be around for some time, as FrSky is appearing to be. Not some of the others, who's existence is often nearly as short as a mayfly, thus no spares and no service if you need it in a year or so's time.

Though I consider many of the things you CAN do with OpenTx, if you are nerdy enough, to be totally pointless.

The problem with 2.4 is the variety of incompatible protocols, done purely in an 'Apple like' attempt by the major manufacturers to 'lock you in'. I don't think multi-protocol modules, with all the faffing around described in your link will be popular enough to solve this. .

What do I personally want in a radio?

Easy 'mechanical' mode change (unlike many Futaba and Spektrum radios).

Fully user assignable sliders, knobs, switches, buttons, etc. It wouldn't do any harm if the sticks were fully assignable too.

'Curves' on all channels, not just the two typical 'heli' ones. (You can even make UC door sequencers with these.)

The option to assign as many ailerons, elevators, or whatever as you want.

Mixers with multiple inputs.

As you know, both OpenTx and Multiplex can do all these things, simply because they are 'object orientated' rather than 'function orientated'. I suspect Jeti and the new Powerbox Tx are too, but I have never seen either.

What puts me off a radio?

The pointless 'bus' systems which merely over-complicate things (and are another attempt to lock you in). You may need marginally less wires but you need often pricy little boxes and, more importantly, access to them, which means extra hatches, mostly in the wings. And with Futaba, if you need more than 8 channels the only alternative is a near 200 quid 16 channel receiver.

Nutty prices, such as the new Powerbox Tx. I don't see that lasting long. Nor do I suspect will Multiplex. They alreadydropped thr 'new' Profi and all Evo's except one. As a result I have purchased my last Multiplex receiver - I have about 30 and will swap them from plane to plane as needed rather than buy more.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 01/07/2020 17:20:27

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 01/07/2020 17:23:36

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 01/07/2020 17:17:48:

...Well, you ARE an OpenTx zealot . However I think you CAN be trusted

I could even be tempted to buy an OpenTx transmitter, provided it is made by somebody who might be around for some time, as FrSky is appearing to be. Not some of the others, who's existence is often nearly as short as a mayfly, thus no spares and no service if you need it in a year or so's time.

Thanks for the compliment - are you feeling alright?

I see where you are coming from re: service and spares, but in the case of the Jumper and Radiomaster they have already reached a critical mass of buyers across the world. That means that even if they disappeared tomorrow someone would step in with replacement gimbals, switches etc (they have been a huge hit with the multirotor community). Yes you'd be fitting them yourself, but if your happy with that I don't see it as a major problem (also their low purchase price does offset this concern quite a bit).

The problem with 2.4 is the variety of incompatible protocols, done purely in an 'Apple like' attempt by the major manufacturers to 'lock you in'. I don't think multi-protocol modules, with all the faffing around described in your link will be popular enough to solve this.

I agree the initial setup of these modules is somewhat fiddly, but if means you can keep using existing RXs from (say) Hitec which would otherwise have to be sold/disposed of that is time well spent. Don't forget too that most people only actually use these modules for 1 or 2 protocols - their previous brand plus whatever they want to use moving forward (I suspect in the vast majority of cases that is Frsky).

...What puts me off a radio?

The pointless 'bus' systems which merely over-complicate things (and are another attempt to lock you in). You may need marginally less wires but you need often pricy little boxes and, more importantly, access to them, which means extra hatches, mostly in the wings. And with Futaba, if you need more than 8 channels the only alternative is a near 200 quid 16 channel receiver.

Nutty prices, such as the new Powerbox Tx. I don't see that lasting long. Nor do I suspect will Multiplex. They already dropped the 'new' Profi and all Evo's except one. As a result I have purchased my last Multiplex receiver - I have about 30 and will swap them from plane to plane as needed rather than buy more.

I quite like SBUS in the right place and it's hugely popular amongst multirotor pilots, but yes I bus systems do have disadvantages as well as advantages that manufacturers like Futaba like to gloss over. Frsky still makes plenty of non-SBUS RXs though so it's not an issue I worry about. The Powerbox TX though... you'd have to be a very brave person to invest in that. I understand it is built on the old Weatronic system, and we all know what happened to them!.