Programmable failsafe on AR 400 and 600 series Rx

A Davidson

Hope someone can direct my efforts in setting up programmable failsafe on the above receivers? I have tried both my DX 6I and DX7 tx and religiously followed the supplied instructions but have failed spectacularly every attempt.
it must be me going wrong as I cannot do this with my Sanwa SD-10GS either. (duh!)🤨

Advert

Thanks folks but the basic failsafe is not the issue, the manuals for both 400 and 600 series give instructions for the programmable failsafe which is pretty important for gliders. I need to be able to have the elevator and rudder kick over to return the glider to earth instead of holding last input if the signal is lost.
Thanks anyway 🤗

Posted by A Davidson on 14/07/2020 13:18:30:

Thanks folks but the basic failsafe is not the issue, the manuals for both 400 and 600 series give instructions for the programmable failsafe which is pretty important for gliders. I need to be able to have the elevator and rudder kick over to return the glider to earth instead of holding last input if the signal is lost.
Thanks anyway 🤗

If you said fully initially what you need to be able to do and kick over and leap over the sticks, we would have looked at this differently.

When you kick and flick over controls at loss of signal, the model tends to spiral dive into someone or something.

No mention in the original post.

Could you add some gentle offsets on loss of signal to avoid a catastrophe

I thought there were two bind routines.

A;- Standard motor off, all control surfaces held at positions when signal lost.

1 Bind plug in rx

2 power up rx

2 with bind light on Rx flashing, power up tx with bind button pressed.

3 After bind complete, power off Rx and remove bind plug.

4 power up Rx and check bound and motor stops when tx switched off.

B:- Motor off, control surfaces to set failsafe positions.

1 Bind plug in rx

2 power up rx

3 Remove bind plug from Rx, bind light should remain flashing.

4.power up tx with bind button pressed and controls held in the failsafe positions you want (4 hands needed!)

5. After bind complete, power off Rx and tx.

6. Power up tx then rx and test with tx off.

I only use the hold controls, motor off variant and test it on all models each flying session. In 5 years I think I have had only one Unexplained event where the motor didn’t stop. Sorted by re-binding.

Can someone correct the post if I have it wrong.

Edited By Richard Ashworth on 14/07/2020 15:48:26

Hi Richard , as i understand it the failsafe on the AR400 only works on the throttle channel . The throttle is the only one that receive power the others will remain in the last position before signal loss. Check spektrum site and download the operation instructions for AR400 reciever to be sure but I think I have it right.

Paul.

The AR620 only binds with the button on the case, so a bind plug does not work.

Normal bind is hold button and power up

For gliders and other models (Woohoo with aux on other throttle channel that has to fail to throttle off)

Hold button down and power up RX

Then hold sticks where you want or anything else

Then hold RX bind button down and power TX up in bind mode

Once TX and RX have bound the RX will have taken the "special" settings

Its in the manual and just a bit different to the old RX's that would bind with a bind plug. wink

Edited By Chris Walby on 14/07/2020 17:27:14

The receivers are the 410 and the 620. Neither of them will preset failsafe but both will smart failsafe. I have employed two experienced rcers to assist with no improvement. I have read the destructions till my eyes cross and get no further. I have tried this using both my dx6i and dx7. The receivers are brand new units. I will just continue trying: may try sneaking up on them when it’s dark.
Thanks for the comments about ‘kicking’ over the rudder and yanking the elevator but seriously I don’t believe any flier would do that in normal flight let alone in an uncontrollable situation. I know it’s for gliders but they hold the airspeed record for Rc.
All feedback has been useful. Thank you everyone

Al

Definitely some confusion here cause the title states ar400 & 600, both of these rx’s only have failsafe on the throttle channel.

For the newer 410 and 620, update your transmitter and you go into forward programming and set custom failsafe positions for every channel there. I was never successful trying to get preset failsafe to work following the manual, so if you have older radios like the DX6i you may be stuck with just smartsafe again. 

Edited By I_AM_MARKEVANS on 15/07/2020 09:39:08

Thanks IAm. Unfortunately I have a 6i that’s a few years old and I cannot locate the requisite sd card port suggesting that it is too old. May need to speak nicely to the ‘Boss’ to request a replacement.
Thanks again folks.
Happy and safe flying.