X8R update

trebor

Posted by Geoff S on 13/11/2020 23:10:48:

It almost makes me wish for the simplicity of 35MHz when you could use any receiver with your transmitter provided you had the right Xtals

Geoff

If you read the post from Mike Blandford you can see who to blame to a large extent. To be fair the more recent RX's like the RX6R and R9 series mainly will work with either ACCST or ACCESS, of course older receivers will always work with the firmware they were designed for and flashing isn't exactly a great pain that it once was..

Posted by Geoff S on 13/11/2020 21:17:40:

I don't particularly want to change from V1 it's just the stories I read about uncommanded control movements that have been reported when using it. Moreover Frsky themselves seem to be recommending it. I've had no problems at all with X series receivers and, according to the guy I spoke to at T9, no-one else in the UK has either (at least their customers).. . . .

I live in UK and am a T9 customer, and I'm pretty sure I had a UCM event with v1 firmware in an S8R receiver some time last January, resulting in a crash. As with most crashes they happen so fast that it's difficult to be 100% certain what happened, so it might have been something else.

Anyway, after the crash and then reading about UCM, I decided to update all my FrSky gear to v2. Because I'd read about UCM here and on other sites, I didn't bother telling T9 about it.

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 13/11/2020 23:59:03:

You are on FrOS correct?

Then you need version 1.3.07 you mentioned earlier from the X10 for the TX and for the X8R you need the ACCST LBT firmware from this page.

Discussing different RF boards and different transmitters is making it confusing.

Edited By Philip Lewis 3 on 13/11/2020 23:59:30

No, I'm on OpenTX but this is primarily about the RF firmware rather than the user interface though one may affect the other at the point where the 2 need to interface and probably do.

Since it's the RF firmware (V1 versus V2) that needs to be changed then different transmitters and their RF output boards then, whilst confusing, they're certainly relevant.

Certainly flashing firmware is a lot easier with the Horus than with a Taranis assuming there's easy access to the receiver's Smartport in a model which isn't always the case. I'm happy to update provided it won't make a load of earlier non X type receivers unusable with my Horus X10.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff S on 14/11/2020 12:39:07:

No, I'm on OpenTX but this is primarily about the RF firmware

Geoff

Exactly but you asked if 1.3.07 was correct and that is FrOs software not Open TX which is why I thought you were using FrOs.

All you need is the IXJT_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk file for the internal IXJT which is here under FIRMWARE - iXJT (OPTX) and the X8R firmware linked to above.

D8 earlier version receivers are unaffected by this change as D8 itself does not change.

Geoff, I think that if you upgrade the iXJT board to v2 firmware your D series receivers won't work. Unless, that is, you upgrade them with Mike B's version of the D series receiver firmware.

Looking back, I've had one possible USM event that saw off my Jabberwok a couple of years ago though at the time I put it down to a switch issue. Without receiver output logging there's no way to tell. If I get bored over the winter I may upgrade everything but I won't worry if I don't get around to it.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/11/2020 12:57:01:

If you upgrade the iXJT board to v2 firmware your D series receivers won't work. Unless, that is, you upgrade them with Mike B's version of the D series receiver firmware.

This is incorrect, it's a myth, to be clear, if you flash V2 to your existing TX which is working with D8 then they will still work (without even needing rebinding) afterwards, you do not need to do anything with your D8 receivers.

If you want to upgrade to Mikes software which is D16 working on (some I think) D8 receivers then that is done for different reasons.

Edited By Philip Lewis 3 on 14/11/2020 13:17:39

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/11/2020 13:28:30:

Phillip, does that only apply to the X10 Access upgrade boards then?

I don't have any ACCESS TX's (and have no plans to do so unless my X10S fails), AFAIK an ACCESS transmitter will only work with ACCESS and ACCST D16 i.e. it will not work with D8, that would be a good reason to use Mike's software to convert a D8 receiver to work in D16.

My TX is an original X10S ACCST TX flashed to D16 V2 Firmware and an X9E which has been likewise flashed.

Both work with D8 RX's (I've just bound a D8 R II Plus to the X9E to make sure).

Does that answer your question?

Edited By Philip Lewis 3 on 14/11/2020 13:39:29

Thanks for the clarification, Philip. I've downloaded the firmware for both my X10 Horus and the X8R/X6R receivers and I'll perhaps (probably) up date them over the winter (I probably won't fly much until spring - or, as an 80+ year old, I get the C-19 vaccine )

One thing that was making me hesitate was the possibilty thant my non X series receivers (I have a few, particularly the 4 channel ones in small faomies) might not bind but from what you write that isn't the case.

It does seem odd that all the X8R receivers in stock at T9 are still flashed with V1 firmware but perhaps they were manufactured before all this happened - it is less thn a year after all.

All this is a very long way since I built my first TRF radio receiver when I was about 14 - single valve with +ve reaction f/b which could easily be turned into a transmitter and built almost literally on a breadboard with coils I wound on my dad's lathe. . VP23 valve IIRC

Geoff

Posted by Geoff S on 14/11/2020 15:20:02:

One thing that was making me hesitate was the possibilty that my non X series receivers (I have a few, particularly the 4 channel ones in small faomies) might not bind but from what you write that isn't the case.

Geoff

It's basically a no cost option, if, for some reason it doesn't work you always have the option to flash back.

In that highly unlikely event the V1 firmware is still around, if you can't find it send me a pm with your e mail and I'll send it to you.

Good luck.