X8R update

trebor

I seem to be in a pickle, I just updated my X8R rx with the latest Accst-2.1.0 lbt and my Radio Taranis X9D+ was already on version 2.3.9. I now find they will not talk to each other crying I just checked Frsky site and spotted a comment ( History firmware download not compatible with v2.x.x ) angry does that mean I have had it ?

I looked for an older version and could not find one, there seems to be only one download to chose which covers the X6R and X8R receivers in the discontinued section.

It is all a bit complicated now.

Sounds like you are on OpenTX 2.3.9 V1 of the TX firmware.

V 2.3.9 refers to the version of OpenTX and not the radio firmware, which will probably be V1.

If you have not updated the TX to V2 of the firmware then you need to click on the download on the history bit.

2020-07-16.jpg

That will take you to the correct page to download the firmware. it will automatically download the older V1 RX firmware.

It is possible to flash an RX from the newer to the older version. I have done this myself.

Hope that helps.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 16/07/2020 18:21:43

I didn't know there was a v2 firmware, I quite liked this radio before the other protocol came out. It's getting a bit confusing. I cannot understand why I was having trouble with low rssi signals when range testing all of a sudden and all I did was update the Taranis, so I thought I would update the X8R. I wish I had never bothered cryingangrysurprise

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 16/07/2020 18:16:02:

V 2.3.9 refers to the version of OpenTX and not the radio firmware, which will probably be V1.

Hope that helps.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 16/07/2020 18:21:43

Im confused, I thought the Tx firmware was opentx ? Whats V1 and V2 how do I tell what I have got ? All I have ever done is update the opentx version. Will this mean I have to update all my receivers disgust

The Taranis has two items of firmware, the operating system (openTx in your case but could be erskyTx), and the (internal) module firmware. If you update the Rx to V2.1.0, then you need to update the module firmware to V2.1 as well. If you do update the Tx module, you will need to update all your receivers to V2.1 as well. V1 module/receiver firmware is not compatible with V2.1 module/receiver firmware.

The reason for the V2.1 firmware is a problem was found with the V1 firmware. Under certain conditions, the Rx could lose the radio link for up to 0.9 seconds, and during this time it may also cause one, or more, servos to move to full deflection. Since if this happens near the ground it could cause the model to crash, V2.1 has been released that fixes the problem. It could not be completely fixed by just changing the V1 firmware (although V1 can be made to lose the link for only a very short time and only have the servo glitch for that time (less than 0.1S). I have done that for the firmware I have that allows a D8 receiver to operate in D16 mode.

Mike

Kevin's link didn't do it for me, but this video is what enabled me to get the job done. As has been mentioned, the v2 update is of the FrSky firmware, not the OTX operating system, and once done on the transmitter needs to be done for all the receivers you're going to use with it. Doing the receivers is simple, though one needs to check carefully that every model has transferred correctly, as some people have noticed small changes such as some senses reversed compared with v1. I've been flying models with updated RXSR and X8R receivers for a few weeks now without any problems. I must admit I was struggling with an S8R, but I think I got it sorted (on the bench anyway) yesterday.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 17/07/2020 08:33:54:

. . . . I must admit I was struggling with an S8R, but I think I got it sorted (on the bench anyway) yesterday.

I'm giving up on the S8R for the moment. Today my TwinStar took off as normal, joined the circuit and throttled back to cruise as normal, and then went haywire and crashed after some amazing aerobatics, none of which were instigated by me! Structural damage is not too bad and, on recovering the model, all surfaces were working correctly and a range check passed okay. At the time of the crash neither stabilisation nor self-levelling mode were activated.

The previous week I had aborted the TwinStar's maiden S8R v2.1.0 flight because the pre-flight check showed that the rudder went to full deflection when stabilisation mode was selected. Since then I re-flashed the v2.1.0 firmware and reconfigured the S8R in 'Quick' mode, and all worked well in the workshop, and in the pre-flight at the field today.

• 3 months later...

Well, just been through trying to get an X8R and X6R to work with my X9D 2014 Non EULBT Taranis TX. What a pain. Decided to stay with the pre 2.1 release. I went through, receiver updates, Open Tx update 2.3.10 to the latest version, + bootloader, still no luck.

In the end I updated the XJT module in the taranis from https://www.frsky-rc.com/taranis-x9d-plus-2/

But I used the History firmware which is VER170317 and the receivers 180322. Finally they all work!!!

In my case both were the FCC version as I have some D8 receivers which I want to keep using.

I phomd T9 HobbySport this afternoon to check what RF version their X8Rs had installed. They're all the old standard and they said they's never heard of any of their customers having a problem in the UK. I have several X8R and X6Rs and they've worked perfectly.

Anyway, i ordered another (and another 80 amp Neuron esc).

I also down loaded from Frsky the latest X10 Horus s/w (FW-X10-X10s-v1.0307) which implies it's still version 1. Is this the version I would need to flash if I updated? The X10 and X10S are now discontinued but perhaps I should use the later X10 Express firmware? It gets confusing

Geoff

No that is not correct, version 1.3.07 includes the IXJT V2.1.0 update and that is exactly what it says on this page (when you click on FIRMWARE - FrOS & iXJT), if you really want to stay on V1 then you need 1.3.06.

I'm a bit lost as to why you think you have to update the transmitter when it must be on V1 already unless of course you need or want to update it for other reasons.

If the X8R's are on the old V1 then all you need is to bind them as both RX and TX are on firmware V1.

Edited By Philip Lewis 3 on 13/11/2020 21:09:54

I don't particularly want to change from V1 it's just the stories I read about uncommanded control movements that have been reported when using it. Moreover Frsky themselves seem to be recommending it. I've had no problems at all with X series receivers and, according to the guy I spoke to at T9, no-one else in the UK has either (at least their customers).

I was merely thinking aloud (figuratively )

Geoff

Posted by Geoff S on 13/11/2020 20:43:09:

I phomd T9 HobbySport this afternoon to check what RF version their X8Rs had installed. They're all the old standard and they said they's never heard of any of their customers having a problem in the UK. I have several X8R and X6Rs and they've worked perfectly.

I also down loaded from Frsky the latest X10 Horus s/w (FW-X10-X10s-v1.0307) which implies it's still version 1. Is this the version I would need to flash if I updated? The X10 and X10S are now discontinued but perhaps I should use the later X10 Express firmware? It gets confusing

Geoff

Geoff: The X10 Express has a different RF board to the standard X10/S, and therefore requires different firmware. It uses the "Access" protocol - not to be confused with ACSS! (yes, I know! wink )

Basically, if you have an original X10/S that uses D8/D16, DO NOT try and flash it with the Express firmware!

(I have to watch myself because my X10S is an original, but I also keep an eye on a flying buddy's X10 Express, which uses different firmware!)

--

Pete

Posted by Geoff S on 13/11/2020 21:17:40:

I don't particularly want to change from V1 it's just the stories I read about uncommanded control movements that have been reported when using it. Moreover Frsky themselves seem to be recommending it. I've had no problems at all with X series receivers and, according to the guy I spoke to at T9, no-one else in the UK has either (at least their customers).

I was merely thinking aloud (figuratively )

Geoff

If you don't want to change then just try binding the X8R RX's as they come. They should just "work" and if they don't flash them with V1 firmware. The USM was identified by people far cleverer than I am and FrSky admitted it, that is why I changed and why FrSky recommend changing it, because (however unlikely) it CAN happen and it's been proven to do so.

Posted by Peter Christy on 13/11/2020 21:49:03:
Posted by Geoff S on 13/11/2020 20:43:09:

Geoff

Geoff: The X10 Express has a different RF board to the standard X10/S, and therefore requires different firmware. It uses the "Access" protocol - not to be confused with ACSS! (yes, I know! wink )

Basically, if you have an original X10/S that uses D8/D16, DO NOT try and flash it with the Express firmware!

(I have to watch myself because my X10S is an original, but I also keep an eye on a flying buddy's X10 Express, which uses different firmware!)

--

Pete

I remember trying to bind my 'old' Taranis (one of the first I bought from Giant Cod) and it wouldn't because the early RF boards are different from the later ones. It bound easily to my newer Taranis. I don't know what the differences are but the boards look different.

So if I do choose to move to V2 rf firmware which should I use? The X12 is still current. Is the Rf board the same as our X10s? I chose the X10 over the X12 because I prefered the smaller format. I didn't see the point of the big screen at the top because I wouldn't use while actually flying.

The reason I chose Frsky initially was because I could use a DiY module to dip my toe in 2.4gHz and use my existing 35Mhz transmitters (an old Futaba FF7 Super and a Multiplex 3030) and it was simple and inexpensive. Now they seem to be bent on making existing equipment obsolete through s/w up dates with no backwards compatibility.

It almost makes me wish for the simplicity of 35MHz when you could use any receiver with your transmitter provided you had the right Xtals

Geoff