How to make scale exhausts?

I have made a couple of VW like cylinders for the side of my jodel but want to make the dummy exhausts, the front one of which has quite a tight curve as it goes round the cylinder head to then face in the opposite direction from where it came. I tried a bit of black wiring but it won`t stay bent to the radius, any suggestions?

Advert

I'd go for aluminium tubing bent using a car brake pipe bender after annealing it but if you don't have access to one, model shops stock small bending springs to support the tubing - without something similar the pipe will kink...

You might be able to fill it with fine sand and bend it round a suitable former but it may not be easy to get a smooth curve.

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/07/2020 18:02:01

I had a 3D printed engine for my Magnatilla. but wanted to add some nice bronzed exhaust pipes for effect -I tried some quite thick wire but it didn;t look how I wanted it, then I had a brianwave and found that silicone fuel tube fotted with CA at each end was perfect add a couple of cableties to simulate exhaust clamps. A quick coating of metallic copper paint and it was just the sort of exaggerated cartoon scale rotary engine I was looking for.

dummyrotaryengine.jpg