Sub-Forum suggestion

Matt Carlton

Hello all,

I wonder if it would be sensible, or possible, to create a set of sub forums with links to various suppliers. We have a lot of smaller companies making great products, which we could give a bit of exposure to. When users come across a company or supplier that they have used or come across, they simply drop a reply to the relevant thread with the URL and a brief description. Particularly for those manufacturers who are smaller and perhaps more niche, supplying only one or two 'types' of product, rather than bigger generalist suppliers like SMC.

I'm thinking that the sub-fora could be divided up into Threads thus;

Balsa Kit manufacturers

RTF manufacturers

EDF models

Building Aids

Engine manufacturers

Accessories manufacturers

Scale Accessories (Pilot figures, instrument panels, Insignia etc)

Electronics

Model graphics

Or something similar.

A sort of 'directory' where users can find items without necessarily being 'limited' to the bigger players which tend to be the first port of call.

Or would that be unimaginably clunky and difficult to manage?

Just a thought

Cheers

Specifically, it hasn't been asked before and, yes, of course it's perfectly possible Matt. Suggestions are always welcome.  

I know other forum sites have similar sections.

We've tried to build this sort of thing organically in the past by encouraging manufacturers/advertisers to make use of a free facility, a way of interacting with their customers, make product announcements etc. but any initial enthusiasm disappears after a while or after a personnel change.

I see RCMF has such a section which is pretty much inactive these days. I guess this reflects the size/state of the UK hobby trade and the many trade changes we've seen over the last few years.

There have been exceptions; Jon from Laser Engines has a big and helpful presence here, Jon Porter from Microaces announced product launches for a while and there have been a few others over the years. This is very welcome although, obviously, sellers saying 'lowest prices on Spektrum radios' aren't allowed.

I just don't think such a section would be very busy (and probably very dead) and I'm loathe to create a new bit of the forum that (after a bit of initial enthusiasm) is inactive. 

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 07/10/2020 11:54:54

I wasn't so much thinking of a forum in which traders would be involved as such. More along the lines of a 'directory of links'

The idea being that if I am looking for a 1:3 scale instrument panel, I can quickly open the 'scale accessories' thread and find links to companies which make such a thing.

So, a post would look like this;

Aerocockpit - Scale instrument panels, instruments and cockpit details

Unlike the existing section which is a good/bad trader alert, I'm thinking of this as just a list of links. Somewhat like the old BMFA links directory. Obviously there would have to be a caveat that inclusion in the list did not constitute approval or recommendation by Modelflying.co.uk and that the website was not responsible for broken links or customer experience.

On a certain other forum, they have done this for Balsa Kit Manufacturers in a specific thread within a general modelling forum.

With all due respect the RCMF forum is a shadow of what it used to be, many more people seem to frequent this one judging by the amount of answers received following a post, i hardly visit there anymore, not surprised the company`s listing doesn`t get looked at much over there. I think this is a good idea, i did suggest a listing of UK balsa kit manufacturers about a week ago as i would find that very helpful having got into building my own stuff about a year ago. I am sure there are a few manufacturers that i don`t even know about.

Edited By martin collins 1 on 07/10/2020 16:15:18