Polystyrene for hotwire cutting

Ace

Struggling to find virgin white foam at a reasonable price to cut a 70" wing from in Yorkshire. Question - does the recycled and coloured elements found in Kay Metzeler and Jablite from either Wicks or B & Q have any major drawback to producing an acceptable blank? ie. If the wire drags does it cause unacceptable ripples? Thanks

Advert

Barrie - Thanks price is right but collection only sad

Perttime - I have some blue but was saving it as Extruded is even harder to find now (blue or pink)

KC - EPS70 14kg cu m which is just under 1lb cu ft. Kay M and Jablite are both EPS 70.

Has anyone used either and does it drag unacceptably on the wire? thanks.

The Ecclestons' stuff is available in 1200 x 600mm packs of varying quantities and thicknesses - enough to cater for most needs, at £11 courier delivery. Looked like the ideal solution, but they state it is 20% recycled foam, so will have bits in it which may snag a wire...

Knauf pink foam used to be generally available - I got a slab from Wickes - but it doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Edited By Mike T on 25/10/2020 18:00:07

Mike/Barrie - Thanks I only saw 2400 x 1200 sheets, the 1200 x 600 was under handy pack and that does have carriage blush Has recycled and flecks but if Barrie has used it ok then will give it a go. However will get either the Kay M or Jablite 2400 x 1200 locally (same make up) as the size suits my needs more efficiently. thanks both.

Pettime - You learn something new every day and a source which I thought had dried up completely. thumbs up

Thanks all, managed to get a damaged (300 x 300 corner missing) Kay M 2400 x 1200 x 50 from a local builders supply for silly low money - £5. If not satisfactory will try Ecclestons as used by Barrie with acceptable results.

Thanks again for all the leads. Ace