Lone flying during Lockdown

Stephen Jones

Hi, i know the BMFA have posted,

Model Flying in the club environment

The Government has ordered that certain venues must close, including indoor and outdoor leisure and sporting facilities. We therefore see little option for model flying clubs to continue operating during the period of lockdown and they should close.

Therefore, our advice is for members to stay at home and make an early start on their next masterpiece.

So if you go hiking up a big hill on your own with a model is this ok.

Or if you go to a local park with a park flyer is this ok.

As you would not be in a club environment.

Steve

Advert

From an announcement by the Royal Yachting Association: Sport England is allowing boaters in England to continue to exercise on the waterways during the current lockdown provided they are doing so:

on their own or,

with their household or,

with their support bubble or,

with one person from another household, which could be a coach for 1:1 coaching.

We aeromodellers should be allowed to do likewise, surely. The announcement doesn't say boaters have to be RYA members, so it could apply to anyone with a boat.

Posted by Doc Marten on 07/11/2020 10:34:25:

To comply with the rules:

1/ Yes as long as you have not driven there.

Not true. From the Government guidance:

11. Travel

If you live in England, you must stay at home and avoid travel in the UK or overseas, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons. If you need to travel you should look to reduce the number of journeys if possible.

However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:............

• to spend time or exercise outdoors - this should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

I'm not advocating that you do travel but let's get the facts straight.

From a BMFA email sent to Club Chairmen & Secretaries yesterday:

Model flying itself has not been prohibited during the lockdown period and as an outdoor recreation may possibly continue in public open spaces dependent on any local restrictions. BMFA insurance remains valid as long as you are operating lawfully. However, legislation limits outdoor gatherings to no more than 2 (unless from the same household) and the BMFA advises that members do not fly alone for safety reasons.

This is where all this gets stupid. if I am in the park by myself OR distancing , flying,walking,running,golfing or picking my nose ,WHY should me DRIVING there in my car ALONE be a issue. Too many stupid rules set by NEW "covid experts" or "advisors" now making a living out of covid. This is why covid rules will be around for many years after covid does decline. The sooner people start to realise this the better. I am 60 so not young and tip top condition BUT this virus does not scare me. I wear a mask to protect others "fears" .

One last note, my friend has been put on forced furlow again because he as a breathing complaint. Yet his wife works in a care home and daughter in a hospital. He is in more danger at home! He is not allowed to stay with someone else!!!! If he wanted to ,which he does not.

To many stupid rules. Latest one today, free data for youngsters so they will stay home on phones.Good luck with that.

I have the opportunity to fly locally at my full-size gliding club (I'm a Deputy CFI) that requires me to drive about 1.5 miles.

However, how sensible it seems (and almost zero risk to anyone) there is a feeling of guilt. I'm thinking of going there this afternoon, but will take quiet models (non-IC) because of the guilt factor!

I should add I will be alone

Edited By Robert Welford on 07/11/2020 12:45:35

Posted by Doc Marten on 07/11/2020 10:34:25:

To comply with the rules:

1/ Yes as long as you have not driven there.

2/ Yes as long as you have not driven there, the park is clear or you can do so without any risk of spreading by distancing and covering.

3/ Correct

Personally, If you can do it whilst keeping your distance from others with no risk of spreading then I can't see any problem......others will no doubt disagree.

Edited By Doc Marten on 07/11/2020 11:02:45

Posted by Robert Welford on 07/11/2020 12:53:45:

Yes I'm aware of the BMFA position on "lone flying".

Edited By Robert Welford on 07/11/2020 12:54:29

Sorry my post was being typed the same time as yours and my comment on lone flying was not aimed at you but just a general observation.

Interesting your comments on guilt are exactly what puts me off flying.