9c Tx Fault

Sebby

Hi All, I cannot get my 9c to switch on! Was ok now nothing? When connected to wall charger and on/off switch on Tx cycled, charger responds by charging or not? The Tx has a new nimh which is fully charged and has been tested OK on my 7c, Any thoughts welcome.
I contacted RIPMAX. they advised no Service Dept until after lockdo

Advert

Does the new battery have an orientation tab? If not, could you have connected it the wrong way round? Looked at from the rear of the battery hatch on my old 9C the black wire is on the left. If so, hopefully you won't have damaged anything as I don't see any reason that the third pin would be connected to anything internally.

You're getting to a point where the radio, given its age, might be uneconomic to repair if you send it to Ripmax. Even the smallest and cheapest part, if replaced, will attract a minimum labour charge which might well be way more than the value of the set. Don't forget to factor in postage charges as well.

If the set is just not switching on, then usually this is caused by a relatively simple fault, the not so simple bit is having the knowledge to spot it. Have an ask around your club mates, there's usually a retired techy type who's worked on similar kit for a living and might be able to run a few basic checks to eliminate bad connections, dry joints, fuses, duff switch, blown PCB track (nasty) .....the list goes on.

TBH, I'd not spend too much money on it if you have to rely on getting it fixed professionally. A shame, but it depends on how you feel about it.

Speaking of uneconomic repairs.

A couple of weeks ago our G-Tech cordless vacuum (brilliant bit of kit) busted the drive belt in the cleaning head. Still only just in warranty so gave G-Tech a call to get a new belt.

Them.

"Sorry sir, we don't supply spare belts for that particular model, we'll send you a complete drive unit"

Me.

"I'm sorry, I only need a drive belt"

Them.

"Too difficult for most people to replace, and we don't have engineers to do on-site repairs, so it'll be a new complete head unit"

Me.

"but it's only one screw that you have to remove to access the belt"

Them.

"As I said sir......................"

Standard Gates belt on Ebay for a fiver if you ever need one out of warranty! Now have a perfectly good (repaired) unit and a new one as backup

Edited By Cuban8 on 10/11/2020 10:40:17

Same thing with a VAX carpet cleaner. The internal delivery pipe in the flexible accessory pipe developed multiple holes and as it has a 6 year warranty I contacted them asking for a replacement internal pipe. They insisted on replacing the whole kit, including the vacuum cleaner and all accessories. All I had to do was send a photo of the data plate on the main unit, remove it and cut it in two and send a picture of that...please dispose of the old unit as you see fit...

A day or so later, a full retail package arrived by courier and the old one went into the loft/spares department.

A similar process was followed for a relative's Karcher pressure washer which had a motor failure - she couldn't find the purchase details and wondered if I could fix it - once diagnosed, a quick email with the serial number resulted in a new washer for her and some useful spare parts/accessories for me!

It does seem that the unit cost of these items is often so small to the manufacturer that it's cheaper for them to simply replace than employ technicians and admin staff to perform straightforward warranty work. There must be big profits in the supply and distribution chains!

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/11/2020 13:39:56

I totally understand why Sebby would like his 9c fixed. I have one and I’d be heartbroken if it went bang. Not only am I comfortable program the thing but all the models and details would need to be re-entered into the new one....hardly a task I’m going to relish one day.

Thinking on this, ( and this might help the OP), is there any way of transferring model data from a campac module to, say, usb stick/ hard drive??

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 10/11/2020 17:22:03:

The CAMPAC IS transferrable from one 9C to another! If the OP sourced another Tx and his models were held on a CAMPAC then he could just move the pack to the new Tx without going via a PC or USB stick....

Spot on ! However don’t put the 9c campac into another model ,8u for example, (I’m not sure which other Futaba Tx has compac but you get my point), otherwise the new Tx will wipe the campac entirely.

If it were mine, I’d buy a second hand 9 Cap Tx and swap the campac.

Edited By cymaz on 10/11/2020 17:41:09