Fleet radio gear

Rod Dennis

Advert

Cheers Phil,

I dont know  ? all it says is xp/fm ? , any chance you could say scan a copy , i dont know how else to tell if it is the right book or not  , i would add a photo but dont know how !

Cheers

Rod

And hello to Simom , well impressed with how quick i got some possible news

Rod

Well the pcm has 2 extra switches on the top either side of the meter ,?? mine dont

all i want to find out is what does what , i got this off ebay , as i am fed up with the plastic rubbish ,

Dare i say it but this is not being used on a plane / i hope that useing it on a c*r does not make me a outcast ?

rod

Rod

No outcasts here with the  exception of everyone 

All I can say ,having been the proud owner of one Fleet set of gear like yours ,is that one switch is a dual rate (50% fixed I believe ?) & the other one is to couple up ailerons with rudder But I might be wrong .Dont quote me

My ex has my Fleet gear in France & wont send it over using the excuse that their mailing system think it can be used to make a bomb ?     I dont like plastic crap either but like most I have no choice (like everyone else )keeping up with "must haves"

By the way make sure the battery is ok & that you havn;t got any "black wire" problem from the battery to the switch in the Tx    Myron    

Ps did you aquire any F.leet servos with the deal .They're slightly smaller than standards available these days Wished I had mine back with proper trims etc

I have a set of instructions somewhere for the XP/FM set, but as you are using it for a surface vehicle I assume its a 40 mhz set not the 35 mhz set, I know fleet used to sell quite a few 40 mhz sets for boats and also to robot builders. I'm not sure if these also had some different features, I can't see how coupled aileron and rudder would work on a boat.

Having said that the fleet systems are very simple, all the reversing, throw adjust and mixers are done by mini switches and adjustable pots inside the rear case and they were all clearly identified on the XP/FM sets.

The only thing to watch if you have got a fleet Rx is that the servo pin allocations are different as has been stated above.

The fleet gear was great, I used it for years. The PCM stuff was a pain to program. I think that was what killed Fleet off. No screen but you could buy a multimeter which was some help. Lots of buttons and flashing LEDs in the back. That was what made me give up and go over the Futaba.

No one has made the point bluntly. I will. Using 35 Mhz gear on a car is illegal. You could have it confiscated.

I used Fleet stuff back in the 70s - 27meg of course. I had very limited resources in those days and couldn't afford the Futaba stuff.

The shop wanted £110 for a three channel Futaba set. At that time I was earning 50 quid a week! I bought a second-hand Fleet outfit from Mike and Neville at Model World in Camberley (anyone remember them?) and after a very glitchy start got it checked out by Fleet.

Derek Olley (Mr Fleet) worked from his house in those days, I found him to be quite an affable character who didn't seem to mind me popping round at odd times to get my set looked at. Eventually he took my set in part ex for a three channel 'cuddle box' outfit that he made up for me (I used to fly slope exclusively then). I think he got fed up with me disturbing his Sunday afternoons!

Derek sadly passed away last year, many people have said that he was a miserable so and so, but I always found him to be a helpful decent bloke.