S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

Moved on to the diagonals, using a slightly thinner piano wire, and some 24 swg tinned copper wire.

190.jpg

Clamping bits of piano wire can be a challenge, I use two plates of hardwood, and a "C" clamp. This allows me to "lash" the other end and solder. Remove the clamp, lash and solder that end too.191.jpg Even where the piano wire came very close to some very soft 1/8 no scorching ocurred. Not sure whether this is down to the powerful iron or Chris's amazing solder. Either way I am glad that bit is done.

192.jpg

193.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Advert

Thanks Tony

I have had a couple of messages asking about this magic solder. So here is a piccy. I would suggest you club together to buy some as it is not cheap!! Chris and I split the cost between us

195.jpg

I think this is it on the RS website, perhaps Chris Bott if he is watching can confirm?

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 04/06/2019 12:21:52

That's the stuff Danny

It's 62%Tin, 36%Lead and 2%Silver. This gives it a slightly lower melting point of 179C.

The main advantage over standard 60/40 tin/lead is that is doesn't suffer the "paste like" state as it cools (or warms). With 60/40, any movement during the pasty state can cause a very weak joint.

This stuff is either liquid or solid and just "grabs" suddenly as it cools.

It is also said to absorb far less gold from the gold plating of our connectors, the gold can also affect the joint.

It also leaves joints nice and shiny wink

I've been using it for years for everything and had just run out.

Thanks Chris

I added some soft 1/8 to the piano wire struts in an effort to make them look less like piano wire and a bit more like bits that should be on a Hawker Fury!

196.jpg

Some rough shaping and they are getting there....

197.jpg

I have a cunning plan for the hiding that piano wire further, but more of that later

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 04/06/2019 17:56:23

Snook to the workshop for some cave time, and fettled the centre section some more.

198.jpg

Removed the upper wing CS to allow better access. I will fit the rigging wires and brackets, as well as route the servo wires (4) port/stbd/pos/neg.

Need to think about the metal work over the top of this section, litho or foil. Foil will mean it has to be glassed, but litho will look different compared to the nose section which is foiled.

Sleep on it I reckon

Edited By Danny Fenton on 04/06/2019 22:51:19

Decided to keep it simple. I would just run a lead up each side, one for each of the aileron servos.

These leads are glued to the struts, then whipped at either end to make sure they don't come loose. They will be covered in the wrapped binding later which should hide them a bit.

199.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Jury is still out on this bit........

I have wrapped the cabane struts in strips of torn silk, stuck down with shrinking dope.

200.jpg

201.jpg

Two issues.

1. It didn't want to stick down very well

2. It didn't want to stick down very well

I can always revisit, torn Solartex might have been a better option......

The silk has had 5 coats of straight dope and it still wants more......

Cheers

Danny

Hi Andy, I am mildly concerned about the silk. There was an article a few years ago, I think in Aeromodeller that discussed silk covering. Lightweight Habotai silk was recomended, this I duly purchased. Still cost £36 for two yards

I notice Mike Woodhouse, Free Flight Supplies sells Esaki, in both lightweight 12gsm and a heavier 18gsm. would these be better do you think? The silk is not as coarse as it appears in the photo, remember the bit you see was torn, that may have pulled the threads a little?

Where do others purchase silk, or are we a dying breed?

Cheers

Danny

I have used the lightweight Esaki from Mike Woodhouse and also a slightly cheaper silk from Harringtons Fabric and Lace of long Eaton.

**LINK**

If you want a sample, follow the link above and type in this product code:

4202/I (that's I for Ivory)

It was recommended by Bill Dennis for FF Scale applications so it should have a finer weave than your stuff.

Thanks Alan,the web site doesn't seem very user friendly, cannot get to prices. I thought it was Bill Dennis that suggested the Habotai that I have. But I did order it a few years ago now.

If the silk is only slightly cheaper from Harringtons I may as well order from Mike I guess. he doesn't advertise any white, but I don't suppose the colour will matter as it will be overpainted.

Cheers

Danny

Yes thats a good idea on the diluted pva. It seems my silk is momme 8 and the good stuff is momme 4. I can find 5.5 but no 4

I find solartex always wrinkles eventually, and as some of my models are more than ten years old wanted to avoid Solartex. But wrapped in strips should be okay....

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Martian, perhaps those that haven't done this bit yet should consider that approach?

Martin F pointed out a measurement that I had not checked, thanks Martin very valid observation!

The distance from the leading edge to the front of the centre section forward bulkhead should be 70mm.

213.jpg

Mine is pretty close, not going to lose any sleep over the discrepancy.......

Cheers

Danny