S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

Advert

Hi Martyn the plate is just butt jointed. I may add some 1/8 square triangle stock underneath, to just spread the load a little. Though it is plenty strong.

I am surprised more modellers are not using RDS, though it does rely on accurate building, maybe that puts people off?

A friend is trying some very hard plastic in his 3D printer to try and make the "top-hats"

Cheers

Danny

Nice work Danny !

I´ve used the RDS system in my competition/Composite gliders. Not in scale subjecs.

Recently I don´t have more RDS sets, so I am not able to use it again. I`ll have to think about amini Lathe. Ummm.

I bought a few RDS sets for Futaba servos. Now I have no more in stock.

Jose Luis

Posted by Danny Fenton on 06/03/2019 11:12:51:

Hi Martyn the plate is just butt jointed. I may add some 1/8 square triangle stock underneath, to just spread the load a little. Though it is plenty strong.

I am surprised more modellers are not using RDS, though it does rely on accurate building, maybe that puts people off?

A friend is trying some very hard plastic in his 3D printer to try and make the "top-hats"

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny. If I had seen this first, I would have gone down this path. It is so elegant. You can actually pick up small samples of formica from Wickes DIY in the kitchen section. They would be perfect for stuff like this.

I have just acquired a 3D printer. Making Top Hats with a splined inner seems like a good way to faff around. Apart from that, I cant see how a hobbyist could cut splines in a tube of that diameter unless you have a micro milling machine

Martyn

Yes a quick google brought me to that conclusion as well. The top hats don't take long on the lathe, some alloy, grub screw, and 2.5mm mushroom headed screws. And it gives me an excuse to play with the lathe for an hour or two

Well just to prove the first wing wasn't a fluke I fitted the other aileron and RDS box.

159.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

158.jpg

this one is better then the first and operates really freely.

I will say don't get these Corona servos, not sure if it is the metal gears but the play around centre has ruined the carefully created RDS boxes. There is play in setup. When you look its not the RDS system its the flaming servo disk!! Anyway it will be fine on this model, but I shan't use them again. Should have stuck to Hitecs

Cheers

Danny

No point Tony it is flying only, so nothing to be gained. why risk a multi month model when there is no static?

I will fly the Fury in this class, but the first few comps are soon and the Fury wont be ready. Monkeyed about with the bulkhead and got the motor fitted, so should dn't take much. The tailplane appears to be made of oak!! really tempted to bin it and make another.......

Cheers

Danny

That Tony is a difficult one.

I have a real problem with ARTF's. They are great don't get me wrong, but I cannot resist changing them. All the surfaces are hinged wrong, the canopy is wrong, the tailplane massively overweight etc etc.... But I mustn't.

They are what they are. Changing them just adds masses of time, and it still wont ever be right!

It is just me, I know, but I really must try and leave things like this alone.

If anybody is interested I can do a blog on another thread?

Cheers

Danny

• 2 months later...

Well now that the distractions of the indoor Nationals and the Chipmunk ARTF are out the way, probablt should get back on to the Fury. I like many are really struggling to keep going with this one.... But a little a day and it will be done.

So I removed the brass bits and give them a gentle bend. I then sanded sections from the rib cappings to accept the ply cappings. I then CA'd the brass to the spar (yes, I did add some block between spars)

Strong crochet thread was whipped around the brass and spars, this was then soaked in thin CA

The ply capping pieces were then added, making sure they were flush with the balsa rib cappings

166.jpg

Cheers

Danny