A word from the mods....

Pete B

It's been a pretty hectic 24+ hours for everyone so far....?

Yes, we've noticed the slightly grumpy/it's all too difficult posts but given that the site has only been up a day, perhaps it's worth pointing out that the forum is new to all of us. Yes, it has issues in functionality, user-friendliness and appearance, but the principal issue is one of lack of familiarity with the mechanics of the forum. It will take a little time, working with the developers, to tailor it to appear and operate in a way the majority will find acceptable. The developers have been working flat-out since we went live to address those issues they can solve quickly but there's no such thing as a bespoke, off-the-shelf forum which fits all, so we'll keep fine-tuning it until we're happy.

We mods have had to deal with an even steeper learning curve and really appreciate the assistance - and solutions - that many members have found out for themselves and have willingly shared. There are examples in this section. We are learning from you too and that spirit of co-operation will ensure we iron out the bumps much more quickly.

This forum has been compared with others - please bear in mind those forums would also have had a gestation period which will have been long-forgotten by the original members and totally unknown by those joining later, when the fine-tuning had been done. We are very much at the early stage, so a little patience is required, please.

If some folk are too impatient to hang around then we understand but hope they'll be back when it's easier to navigate.

I can do no better than quote a comment John Stones has just made in the back room:

'It's BEBs Elephant, eat it all, you'll get bellyache, address one issue at a time it becomes easier, spend time browsing and see how others are managing, pick hints/tips up from them, site looks a different thing to me from yesterday, all achieved by being patient.'

Hang in there, folks, it'll get easier....?

Pete

• Like 5

Mostly the new site has worked OK for me. Just an observation. when viewing on my Samsung tablet the bar with headings "Unread Content"  "All Activity" is difficult to read as on a smaller screen size the small font white text on the light grey background doesn't give sufficient contrast to see easily. An easy tweek for the IT guys?

2 minutes ago, David Ovenden said:

Mostly the new site has worked OK for me. Just an observation. when viewing on my Samsung tablet the bar with headings "Unread Content"  "All Activity" is difficult to read as on a smaller screen size the small font white text on the light grey background doesn't give sufficient contrast to see easily. An easy tweek for the IT guys?

You're not the first to mention the font/colour David.....it's on the Developers list to look at....?

Definitely a better environment - just needs a few 'tweaks', so thanks and well done to all involved.  

1) Re grey text, it is black on my tablet (Surface) and phone (Samsumg) but grey on a desktop PC.

2) I am not sure people are interested in when an image is added/amended - I appreciate that these can be amended from a 'latest/unread posts' solution but would suggest the default is that these things happen invisibly.

3) None of my images can be added to albums (or threads I would guess) as no 'controls' (supposedly at top right of image) are visible on any of my images.

GG