Ugly Stik in foamboard- wing shape

It looks great even without the scalloped trailing edges ?   The only sad thing about the photo is that it looks like it was taken in your garden instead of out at your flying field as weather here was perfect for a maiden.

Does it balance OK?  My Liddle one didn't need any ballast with a 3S 2200 mAH LiPO.

Geoff

I took a sharp knife to the wing:784272691_IMG_20210227_1002371622.thumb.jpg.bd8c455ce64dda53437d4ea36e759a8d.jpg

First cut, but not enough at less than 1/4"

1238873134_IMG_20210227_1006211402.thumb.jpg.20c06e9bc62c03951b4f80c186e6480a.jpg

Rather more taken off straight, then rounded with a Permagrit.

575735267_IMG_20210227_1015314112.thumb.jpg.49a072aa4d3772683e72041e9f8abe4a.jpg

1998570380_IMG_20210227_1032238142.thumb.jpg.829e70d0c6738429420c8242e831056e.jpg

It is hard to see the shape when the colours are all mixed up. I reinforced by covering with with polyester lining material stuck on and filled using polyurethane varnish.

With the red resprayed you can get an idea of the shape. It looks a lot less dangerous ?.

1867083249_IMG_20210301_2011384472.thumb.jpg.effe8457639a04532af61e9ec62faa38.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Took the Stik up to the field today. It taxies very nicely, responding to rudder in both directions.

Did not fly because it was rather bumpy weather, and I am not sure of the CG. I know I worked it out before, but I forgot my conclusion. The chord is 12.5" for the 62" version. The plans seem to have the CG very far back. 1/3 chord is 10.5cm, currently it balances a bit less than 10cm, plans seem to be more like 12+cm. (Mixing my units)

I thought CoG on the Liddle Stik I built about 11 months ago and flew this afternoon seemed a bit far back but it's quite docile.  In fact it could do with some tail weight as I failed to get it to stall and spin.  Go with the drawing but a bit further forward until you're confident won't hurt, I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @EarlyBird and @Geoff S.

I was able to get a very brief maiden of the Stik one evening last week. CG at about 30% of the 12.5" chord, not enough time to check it out thoroughly, but clearly a good flyer.

I went back to the plans and my confusion in CG comes from having sourced ideas from several plans and there being two different wing aspect ratios. Scaling to 62" span the Great Planes Big Stik 60, RCM Das Ugly Stik, and Outerzone redrawn Classic Ugly Stik are 12.5" chord, whereas the Grid Leaks and Jensen versions come out at 13.5". Taking that into account they all agree on 35% of overall chord for the CG. Great Planes give the range 30-36%.

Forecast for the afternoon is quite a bit of wind, but steady. I shall head out and give it a proper go.

• Thanks 1

Well, that was very very successful. Chid_flyer and I arrived at the field to this

IMG_20210403_162943950.thumb.jpg.8ae49f37c6a4f5ca4303625cfb7fa12d.jpg

Nobody else there, wind stiff but steady. Had a couple of flights with FT Legacy (basically a Telemaster). That is usually ok in a wind, and it managed reasonably well. We certainly felt on our toes the whole time. Child_flyer was wary about us taking the Stik up, but that was what we were there for. Such a difference ?. The model just goes where you want it to and pretty much ignored the wind. I got very little time with it as C_f was having too much fun.

Thank you for the encouragement.

IMG_20210403_162315145~2.jpg

Edited by Dad_flyer
Spelling of course.
  • Like 3

Stiks do fly well, as did the Eindecker (on which it was based). I have stall tested the HK Crusader and nothing happens. Fit a large motor and they are aerobatic. Slow them down and they remain stable enough for a complete novice. Definitely a very good follow on from a trainer.

I made adjustments so that it flew where I pointed it then tried inverted, no down elevator required just throttle management. Am I impressed with the stik? Well I now have a fleet of them. ? 

• Thanks 1

The first I bought by accident, as a replacement for a Flair cub that lasted only seconds. I bought it second hand from my LMS for my son to fly. I did not know what it was at the time but after a couple of flights it stayed in the garage for nearly thirty years. Recently I decided to learn RC and was encouraged by a club mate to convert it to electric.

It is 50" laminated foam wings and with dihedral. It flew so well, eventually, that I decided to find out what it was. Research led me to Phil Kraft and Jensen so my best guess is that was a kit based on Jensen's design produced as a trainer, probably from the late eighties early nineties as it was well used when I bought it in ninety three. It became my go to plane which would restore my confidence following a crash of a not so good plane. I gave it a hard time in my first year but it is still going strong, after many incidents and patch ups. I should rebuild and recover it but I have so much to do and since I retired I have never been so busy, having fun building and flying RC of course. ?

Edited by EarlyBird
spelling
  • Like 2

We have had a few more flights, in forecast 15mph winds on the more turbulent of our flying sites. It really does go well, enjoyable and controlled flying in that wind.

Child_flyer particularly likes it, which came to be a very good thing. We had had a few flights each and the next one I had the first part. Took off and started a turn to the right. Then I completely lost coordination. Somehow I did not know which way to go to level the wings and swooped all over, nearly nose first into the ground, managed to get it pointing upwards, starting to panic. Fortunately Child_flyer was there and accepted the transmitter, levelled off and flew circuits whilst I calmed down. Handed the tx back to me, level and on the upwind leg. Again I was all over the place, again CF recovered, (and again), then it was time to land which CF did again perfectly.

I am really not sure what happened, It may have just been over thinking, leading to over control. There was certainly nothing wrong with the model, it flew fine for CF.

Maybe it was all just put there to give CF confidence.

Been there done that recently, the only difference being no CF to rescue me. I did get some help later though.

16 hours ago, john stones 1 Moderator said:

Problem is mostly the person holding the Tx Steve, we've all been there, done that. ?

In my case I have to agree with John and your experience does seem to confirm this.

?

• Haha 1

On 21/02/2021 at 16:42, Geoff S said:

Just had a look at my Liddle Stik ribs and they have a fairly sharp edge because the l/e is a length of 6mm (1/4") square.  However, I'm almost sure I rounded it off before covering.  I also adjusted the bottom main spar to be parallel with the upper so that the spar web sheeting fitted better.

1341833205_Ribtemplate.thumb.JPG.49d32a7fb15819cea7d2dd7bf55de4af.JPG

You can just about see the l/e profile in this view:

517694015_complete8.thumb.JPG.48917f6ee6103eb576e6e00a989f2831.JPG

Flies great and was just a bit of a quick build fun.  I really must try building with foam board.  I also have a Paper Aviation Ezee Pezee which I bought part built at a Nats swap meet and that's mostly foam board, but the wings are an open structure with foam board ribs and covered with film like a balsa one.

Geoff

Geoff, you will love that Eezee Peezee Mate I had one and Put a Power 46 motor in it, on 4 cells I think. Massive fun.

Before and after pics Below.

D.D.

large.439225.jpg.1a6d112364390f18dce141425cfd288d.jpg

large.439226.jpg.97f4c4826e4432f7dee78609e4d309a7.jpg

I know, Dwain.  I flew it a lot once I'd finished it off.  It was my first model on 4S.  I loved its ungainly aerobatics - rolls were  delight to behold.  One unkind club member used to burst out laughing when he saw it on the ground because it's so ugly.  I used it as a test aircraft for an old Laser 62 I refurbished a couple of years ago and I'm using the motor in my electrified Flair SE5a so it's unpowered at the moment.

92323023_eezeeinflight.thumb.jpg.679ac77f892cc289ae864534659332e9.jpg

• Like 1