Scale exhaust for glow engine

Danny Fenton

6 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Just Engines  do a range of fittings Danny. 

Thanks Ron, Had a look on there site and didn't find anything other than silicon exhaust hose.

I have found the genuine Saito flexi hose with a Saito 82b fitting on the Macgregor site, and its a whopping £50 plus postage, so I will be buying the Reeves flexi for £6 and making my own.

Cheers

Danny

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Very strange, they have lots of exhaust fittings including flexi pipe with Saito fittings.

9D526562-95E1-46E9-99DF-2A5412441B49.png

Thanks Ron, thats not the web site i found lol, as you say thats much more what i expected from J'en. They do everything i need as you say. And at half the Saito prices. Thanks for putting me straight!

Cheers

Danny

2 hours ago, David Ovenden said:

In case it is useful, I believe the exhaust thread on the Saito 82 is fine pitch metric 12mm x 1mm pitch. I was able to buy tap and die in this pitch for a reasonable price. If you have a lathe you may be able to cut external threads without a die I imagine.

Thanks David thats what my research turned up too. I can get extra locking  nuts, a 170 mm 12x1 flex extension to fit my engine, and a silencer box to for around £70. Just have to decide whether my wish to silver solder one is greater than just buying the bits!

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny I have made a few scale exhausts over the years. For larger models I have used thin steel sheet 20 / 22 gauge and brazed or silver soldered them together and it very strong . Any large areas need internal bracing to stop resonance that will eventually cause cracks. As John says they should be mounted on the engine mounts with braces to stop all the vibes going through the exhaust mount on the cyl head. I have made a couple of exhaust with aluminium sheet and brazed that with alloy brazing rods ,no flux needed, plenty of rods aavailable on eBay or look for Technoweld  a branded . Flexi mounts are tricky and the stainless so called Flexi tubes are really stiff and are only intended to be easily bent into shape and not to absorb engine vibes. Good luck and let us know what you decide and show us any pics ?

• Like 1