Spectacular Meteor sighting last night

leccyflyer

Just watching the match last night when a fireball streaked across the sky - quite spectacular. I've seen plenty of shooting stars, which were momentary streaks of white light lasting less than a second, but this was a proper meteor, with a fiery tail and you could see the trail and path for a couple of seconds at least. I saw it as an orangey yellow, with clear sparking and bits dropping off, other folks saw it with a greenish glow. It reminded me a bit of Flash Gordon's space ship in the old films. Nothing like the shooting stars I'd seen before.

Sightings of the meteor were reported throughout Scotland, Northern England, Northern Ireland and as far away as Denmark.

Did anyone else here see it?

Advert

That is typically a " once in a lifetime " sighting, you lucky person.

About 10 years ago, I saw similar, and was confirmed, at that time as " space junk " returning to Earth.

Shooting stars are still a thrill to sight, but yours is a rare sighting.

Edited by Denis Watkins

A lot depends on where you live with regards to meteor sighting's.  I live/work on the Welsh coast and at night it is very dark [ little light pollution ] and no trees or buildings of any hight to block the view. As a livestock farmer I am often out al hours. Have seen several 5 second plus meteors over the years and many couple of second "shooting star" and some pretty big bits of space junk burning up.

A few years ago I set up an exercise for my Coastguard team.  The objective was to search for and find an object reported to have fallen from the sky on to a certain hill and then follow correct observation and reporting of the item.

[ an old weather balloon device was the target]

The exercise went well but then just as we were arriving back at our vehicles something caught my eye. "LOOK I said as a largish bit of space junk entered the atmosphere, tumbling and shedding burning fragments for several seconds.  I was accused by amazed team members of having set it all up but of course it was just luck.

About 15 years ago we spent Christmas with some friends in a holiday let in the Cotswolds.  On Christmas night we were walking back to our accommodation after having a slap-up evening meal in a nearby hotel and there was a spectacular comet/shooting star streaking across the sky.  It was in sight for several seconds (15?) and certainly not fleeting.  Perhaps it wasn't a comet but a piece of man-made space junk obeying the law we all understand only too well at times - gravity.

It was certainly something I'll never forget.

• Like 1