Scratch building from 3 views advice and experiences.

With retirement now looming large there are many aircraft i would like to build but there are no plans available to use. I have seen some wonderful creations produced from 3 view drawings, how do you go about doing that? Looking at using foam and depron to keep the cost (and weight) down, any help or links to helpful web sites appreciated.................M 

Advert

What takes your fancy, depron is so cheap  and quick to build, the SU 27 prop in slot is easy to build and fly for a starter, but a bit noisy from the slot

recently built  a Sunderland, F4 Phantom , Li.ghtning and TSR2 , all from outlines to give angles and propoortions. All from depron and blue foam

A good site for ideas online is SEMFF, South East Michigan Foam Fliers  , hundreds of plans for free

Anything is possible but it depends on your experience and devotion to the project.

I assume you have built and flown warbirds as that is your interest, and I do not include ARTF in the build category.

Have you tried modifying any of your machines?

If you have done the above, then go for it as you probably will have the knowledge required. Next issue is finding enough reliable data and pictures to formulate a plan from. Be wary to try and create from one source as a lot of machines got modified during their lives so a later version may not look like the original version.

Good luck

Edited by Andy Gates

Hi Martin, if you search My late lamented Seafury in the search panel you will find a build of mine using Depron foamboard and balsa. I scaled the plan x5 from a scale drawing of a 60 powered Seafury. I used the former outlines but changed the construction totally, the formers were enlarged on my printer the fuselage side view was drawn out on wallpaper lining paper, cost about £2 a roll. Depron may be the problem now as it is not easy to find and the places that do sell it are asking more than the current price of balsa. I am going to cover the next model I make by this method with Maker foam, it is relatively cheap at £4 .25 for a sheet 40"x30"  it is thicker than depron 3/16" as opposed to the 1/8" depron I covered the Seafury with. Just have to reduce the size of the formers to suit.

DSC_0764[1206].JPG