Second hand Laser 62. This is absolutely classic! You're going to love this one!

David Davis

David, the designation “plug” tap is also known as an intermediate or second tap.

In France these are the terms  I see used. 

Be aware, the taps you see in economy sets of taps are usually taper, or first taps. I have checked, I have not got a 4mm plug, and I suspect most casual tool users only buy a plug if the need it for a job.

Wurth tools, good stuff, available in France, called it this, “TARAUD MAIN, TARAUD INTERMÉDIAIRE HSS, DIN 352”

you only need the tap. Your engineer friend wii have a handle to screw it with. 

Edited by Don Fry
Handle info.

Advert

40 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Given the nature of the job, you could probably get away with grinding the end off a normal tap. Its a bit of a bodge, but to tap one hole in aluminium you would get away with it. 

Cheers Jon, that is good to know

Unless you take up Jon's offer of supplying a modified bolt, just be very careful that the replacement is a suitable length and doesn't bottom in the hole when you tighten it or you may split the housing or leave the head tightened unevenly.  At least being machined from billet, the material should be less prone to fracturing than a typical cast crankcase...