Modifying the new DX6i

Tim Mackey

Thanks Graham, I appreciate your advice. I am flying some aeros, practicing inverted circuits at the moment. I am not finding it easy to return to straight and level flight after the aeros without setting my throttle to the trim speed for level flight. I am self taught so i don't really know if i should be retrimming continuously. My model noteably climbs with excess throttle and sinks with insufficient throttle.

Advert

That sounds like a thrust line problem rather than trim. If it's a conventional model then try to angle the propeller shaft down a bit - washers under the appropriate motor mounts can achieve this.

If it should be a high mounted above wing motor then you may need upthrust - the same but angling the thrust line up a bit. It's all about how the thrust acts in relation to the centre of lift...

The key is a little at a time until your model doesn't pitch excessively with changes of power - pulling up into a slight climb at full power is the aim for a training/scale type model and neutral changes for an aerobatic one.

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/09/2012 16:04:52

Barryt, your model may just be a bit nose heavy. Try moving the cg rearwards in small increments. Add a little weight to the tail (or remove some nose weight) re-adjust the elevator for straight & level. If the nose still pitches up repeat this until either the nose pitching up is minimal or the model becomes uncomfortable to fly because the cg is too rearward.