Spektrum rx aerial protection

stuey

Hi, i have just installed a Spektrum AR500 receiver into my Phase 3 F-16 and need a bit of advice. I have the receiver installed so that the short aerial is pointing vertically into the canopy, and the longer is going out through the cockpit floor and along the fuz. This has left the short aerial a bit exposed in the cockpit, and i want to put something over it to give it some protection. I am considering some thin wall silicon tubing which fits nicely over the outlet hole, or possibly a piece of heatshrink over the outlet hole along the length of the wire (which is approx 30mm). Would there be any shielding issues? I know when i briefly had a Spektrum rx in my 1/8 rallycross i.c buggy we use flexible aerial tube to protect the wire where it exits the radio box and bodyshell with no apparent effects.

I also noticed a pic where Timbo has covered his aerial wires on a AR7000 with what looks like heatshrink along their entire length, can you confirm this Tim?

Cheers

Advert

I have just had 2 windy flights this morning with the receiver, and as far as i can tell it was fine. I did 2 low power range checks, ok at around 25paces, although I'm 6'2" so i might have a long pace. I ended up putting a piece of heatshrink over the vertical short aerial, a few mm short of the end. I don't think I had any glitching that I could detect, although it would be hard to tell in the gusty wind at my patch.

I am thinking that the module based Spektrum equipment may not have as good a range in low power mode as a Spektrum tx, as getting a reliable 30 paces with a AR6100 or AR500 is not consistent (imo). I was told my Horizon this may be the case, but i wasn't 100% convinced by the slight vagueness of the answer I was given. I suppose if it flies ok thats the test, not too keen on losing a model trying though!!

Hi,stuey,to support the antennas i fix a cocktail stick to the rx and use small rubber o rings to secure the antenna,s to them,using Timbo,s mods also ,it solves all my probs ,aircraft and heli,s. ps ,the destruction book recomends that they are secured  anyway. good flying, regards ,roy.

• 7 months later...
Apparently you should avoid black heatshrink since many black pigments contain carbon to make them black.  So black heatshrink (or any black tube) probably has some radio-blocking carbon in it - although I suspect it's not enough to have a major effect.