Cut outs in Fusion

Erfolg

I am using "Fusion 360" to produce various components.

I have had difficulty in producing holes/apertures, other by using the cylindrical hole button.

I have also bought a Autodesk worked Exercise book. The book goes through how to produce slots, by use of the extrusion button, then using a sub menu "Cut". My problem is I cannot find the option (cut).

I recognise it will be me, a highly refined level of incompetency. Please help me overcome my handicap.

Just draw a Sketch on the face you want circle square, oval etc. Then finish sketch make sure the shape you have used is closed, then use E for Extrude but ensure you are on cut or - to the face you are on either through or the depth you want and its on cut.  Ensure you just select the shape you have drawn only it will turn blue.

Edited by JOHN MOSLEY 2

There is no specific cut tool. The cutting function is actually an option of the combine tool, not exactly intuitive.

1.  Model the cutout shape asa solid body.

2. select the combine function.

3. choose the body to be cut as the target body.

4. Choose the cutout body (stage 1) as the tool body.

5. Set the operation as ‘cut’, it probably defaults to join. ( the cutout should turn red)

6. select OK

job done

There is a tick box option in the combine dialog which controls the preservation of the body used as a tool. Depending on whether this is ticked or not will determine whether the tool body is kept after the cut or is discarded. Once you’ve used it once you’ll wonder haw you missed it. Hope this helps.

Like John, I find the extrude (E) option to be a simple way to form cut outs. Example:

Simple box with face selected, right mouse click, 'Create Sketch'

image.thumb.png.4d3762b42e941003938da5296b6a79e2.png

I created a simple circle, finished sketch then selected the circle (turns blue)

image.thumb.png.c42edbc2a1677968ce14cc90bf305393.png

'E' on the keyboard will put it into Extrude mode with arrows to show which direction you want to extrude, note the Extrude menu. Normally if you extrude into the body the 'Operation' field will change to Cut and the proposed operation will show in red 

image.thumb.png.92fbabbffc928168372656bd551f05bf.png

In a lot of instance I use the 'Extent Type'>'To Object' and then select the face of the object that I want the extrude to finish at.

• Like 1

I think it is the use of the E button I have been missing, which I assumes brings up the extended option menu.

I will try again tomorrow. I left the rectangular slot that I wanted to produce on the sketch, so should be quick to produce the slot, we will see.