Lucas's Rans S-9 Chaos

Lucas Hofman

A little further tonight:

image.thumb.png.3b7fce34aba087e2571b59d5c59780fb.png

I intend to laminate the wooden ridges straight onto the wing 4 laminations of 1.5 mm balsa and one thin ply should keep the cockpit in place I hope. I will try to make an opening cockpit as per the original. The long term plan is to be able to change the pilot for a small camera to do some FPV flying.

Cheers, Lucas

The canopy get form:

image.thumb.png.7bf290b7cf89ec5dd6b6c007c3b46c5b.png

It is the first time I make a canopy so big and complicated. Next will be to put som more framing in that is found on the fullsize:

image.png.3bfe13c247d83082c3f4dcd3acbfa455.png

For the few foto's I have it lookes like the inside of the cockpit on the fullsize is light grey, so I was thinking of spraying the whole area with a grey primer. 

After that paint the the dashboard black. Mount the plastic after covering. Would this be a good sequence?

By the way, does man only srew the plastic or is canopy glue used in addition?

Regards, Lucas

• 3 weeks later...

A long time with no progress. Partly due to RC sailing and 5 club boats that needed some service. And I have been flying on ice for the first time this winter:

image.thumb.png.44a9f259bf0aa2d27ed4826cb9b2fc04.png

But today a little was done:

image.thumb.png.8aaf6e6033d8674f565ed30f3210789d.png

The canopy frame came out well and are quite solid. Maybe it will be an opening canopy some time in the future. The pilot was too high so part of his chest was removed. He is skrewed in place from below so he can be swapped out for a little camera some time in the future.

Edited by Lucas Hofman
  • Like 1

Next was the landing gear. I have a nice bending jig that bends 4mm piano rod easily. However, when fitting I found out that it was 1,5 cm too narrow. That was not my fault: the horizontal part of the landing gear is draw a bit narrower than the fuselage frame next to it. Now 1m rod is cut up in 3 pieces that all are too short....

Well, on the other hand I could have checked the drawing against the model. Then I would have found out. Now a trip to the model shop is needed before we can continue.

Happy Christmas and many happy landings next year if I do not "see" you before.

Regards, Lucas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Question about where the horizontal stabilizing should be. Should it be as in the following picture?

image.thumb.png.7fc3f4f2cb70507ce5b2a65767bb8471.png

Which means the elevator joiner should be mounted before glueing on the fin. Or should the stabilizer further back, so that the aft spar aligns with the aft spar of the fin?

Regards, Lucas

I think I saw the answer on one of the photograph in the build article. The stabilizer should go even more forward as on the picture above. @Peter Miller Can you confirm. Should it move all the way to the bulkhead. I cannot figure it out from the drawing.

Looking one more time at the drawing I see on sheet 1 the forward fine and stab aligned at the front. 

Regards, Lucas

Edited by Lucas Hofman

On 19/12/2022 at 09:14, Peter Miller said:

According to MY plan and the RCM&E plan  the front of the tailplane  is butted up hard against F-8 which leaves the gap in front of the fin post.

I mention both plans because variations between the two are not unknown.

I hope that sorts the problem out.

It does. I saw it when I did have another good look at the plans. 

Merry Christmas and many happy landings next year!

Lucas

Hi Lucas.

There is no adjustment on the wires. They are quite firm and nothing should make them come loose.  Even if they did slacken off they would still do the job as they would stop a control surface braking as they would transmit all the loads as soo as it moved enough to tighten them.

Happy Christmas.

Here the temperature is at civilised levels at the moment.  These days I fly by the 10-10 rule. Wind below 10mph , temperature above 10 degrees.

On 29/12/2022 at 09:17, Peter Miller said:

A bit neater than my usual system for clamping them.Must do that in future.

Main reason was that I only had flat nylon strips around, but it is little work and absorps the landing loads very well.

Glued the tail feathers in place last night. It is beginning to look like a plane:

image.thumb.png.be954d84e7009552e05b556358434fe5.png

• Like 1

I always try to do some "new things" with every build. In this case I would like to use Robart pin hinges, so that the hinge line can be 3 mm behind the aileron leading edge. Like on the full size. However, trying to drill the holes (in a test piece of the same thickness as the aileron) I did not manage to prevent the holes from coming through the surface. 

So the fallback solution is the well known fuzzy hinges. Tonight I made all the slots:

image.png.1b847bbe7c0312e1a7063ddb24ce38d9.png

• Like 1