Lucas's Rans S-9 Chaos

Lucas Hofman

Had not thought of that. But with a box of wedges before used to lay wooden floors it works fine too. But first some "safe" sanding (yes, I managed not to break a rib):

image.png.eb8989912ad344f9d2d0ff54d5d1b0d6.png

Thanks to Superphatic glue fixing the lower sheeting is a doddle. and when that is standing on the wedges the inner leading edge can go on straight away.

image.png.07467e9d39974ba2e67da1b0e50c1f41.png

When all is drying it is time to finish the fittings for the aileron servo's.

image.png.4d5e7dd5ee870885845dd2e6d3d5020c.png

I do not understand why so many ARF's have the servo mounted vertically in the wing. This way it looks so much better. Although I must try once to have the servo horns pointing up (so inwards), so that only half the pushrod is visible. There is plenty of room in most wings and it should be less work to make the servo cover.

Cheers, Lucas

I usually mount them with the arm sticking through the hatch.  It makes access  a bit easier.  I tend to work on the principle "If you can't get at it easily you will wish you could."  That comes from working on RAF aircraft. I could tell you tales of simple jobs that took ages to do because of poor design!!

I do often have the servo inside the wing though. Do you know I can't remember which way I put the servos on the Chaos.  I tell you, my mind is going!!!

But then I have a large collections of such saying.  "What isn't there can't go wrong!"  "Miller's first Law: Nothing "Simple"ever is!" "Miller's second Law The light at the end of the tunnel is a locomotive coming towards you!"

An article in RCMW some years ago suggested wrapping the wing servo in several layers of masking tape and epoxying it to the ply cover.   If the servo ever needs to be changed then the masking tape is cut away to release the servo.  Saves putting in blocks of wood to take the servo screws.   Too late now perhaps.......

No, they are glued in., they just fold over for transport. 

However I couldn't remember exactly what I  had done (Sort term memory loss is setting in with old age!) so I nipped up to the workshop and checked.

While that system works well I used this on my Chaos which also works and avoids struts floating around. Take your pick!DSCF5084.thumb.JPG.15c877f5b0aff6005b3620c25f6fa810.JPG

DSCF5082.JPG

It is a Dragon Force 65. 65cm long and the rig is not more than a meter heigh. The sailing club here standarizes on this type since they are not expensive and sail well. It is a big class in the UK too, with National Champignonships and quite a few clubs having an active group of sailors.

2 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Dragon force, what depth of water is needed for that yacht please ?

What is the dimension from the bottom of the dagger board/fin to the top of the mast please ?

Rich, about half a meter needed to sail. And no seagrass or other stuff that can tangle the keel or rudder. Total height about 1,4 meter. Other information you can find on https://www.joysway-hobby.com/big-fast-racing-rc-sailing-boat-for-adults-dragon-force-65-p00032p1.html.

And now back to the topic of the thread!

Autumn wheather today, so quite a bit of progress!

I always let the spars extend over the last ribs top reinforce the tip. This give quite a bit of strenght for no weight.

image.thumb.png.d10cf94a4efd141e4f58a2968c082f48.png

The supports for a the aileron servo's are done..... twice. I manage to mount one side to rib bays more to the center, even though I had taped the location....

image.thumb.png.1e23a730a1795842969f6bce2c8daf16.png

I like rib capping!

image.thumb.png.1f7ed20ae5678e4ad0a4330445956153.png

The center sheeting is glued together and can be put on the wing tomorrow. The weather will be miserable, so plenty of workshop time!

image.png.4857becb4408ae1e4ce7fa1a4e8b31ec.png

Cheers, Lucas

• Like 2