Lucas's Rans S-9 Chaos

Lucas Hofman

43 minutes ago, Lucas Hofman said:

Indeed it does. I find build up wing construction pleasing to look at and to work with. Foam wings are not the same.

By the way, do you know how many Rans S-9 have been build after the plan was published?

I have no idea. I only get the feedback from the forum. I know we had one in our club. there is another on the forum

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the cowling. From the few pictures I have from the Rans I am trying to make a lookalike of it seem the cowling is more square. That makes things easier. The hole in the cowling looks slightly bigger than the spinner. 

I first make a "front plate" with a hole in it that centers it on the motor and fixed that to the spinner backplate. Then the top can glues in place:

image.thumb.png.1d25e2b9a113413c76d3a5bcb1ea2f06.png

Next is the bottom. If I have though everything through correctly I can then still loosen the screws that hold the cowling backplate. Fix the backplate with tape top and bottom and glue in the sides. Mark the hole around the spinner an and after removing the spinner backplate the cowling-to-be can the be slided off the motor.  

I will tell you if I have overseen anything.....

Lucas.

Completed the sides. And yes, I did think of removing the screws holding the cowling backplate in place. Until the hole in the front is enlarged the cowling cannot slide upwards.

image.thumb.png.46a23081b55bf035ea50e60a15d7d516.png

Next is making the big hole in the front, glueing some triangle stock on the inside corners and shaping the thing.

Cheers, Lucas

• Like 1

I was given som profiled aluminium profile of the right dimensions. Filled the ends with thickened epoxy and hope that will be enough hold for the M2 threaded rod and the hinge. 

Canopy is next. Half a mm. clear plastic sheet it says in the article. But where does one find that?

Regards, Lucas

ps. I am also looking for Canopy locks (for the battery hatch). Neither Hobby King, Banggood or my local suppliers have any in stock. Can I make it myself?

You could make a simple hatch catch in a similar manner to the one I made for the Ballerina, but instead of putting the working bits in the fuselage put the whole catch in the hatch with the 'handle' projecting upwards.

Simplest of all is a dowel at front and a turnbuckle made from a bit of servo arm but it's rather ugly.   Turnbuckle needs a tiny piece of very thin leather underneath to make it stiff but moveable.

17 hours ago, kc said:

You could make a simple hatch catch in a similar manner to the one I made for the Ballerina, but instead of putting the working bits in the fuselage put the whole catch in the hatch with the 'handle' projecting upwards.

That would be a possibility. I decide to have one of these printed for me by a friend: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3576380. He has a 3D printer but not enough to print so is always happy to get some files in the mail.