Top Flite giant Corsair

I just be mad! I had the opportunity to buy a part started one of these kits and it was too good to pass up so I will be collecting it sometime this week to add to the list of builds! I will need a new engine to power it and am thinking of a 360v Laser (unless Jon can persuade his boss to let him build a Laser 400 radial - please oh please) but have read in the instructions and other builds that it is not unusual to have to add 3lb of lead to the nose!!!! Looking at the plans it does seem like there is a lot of potentially excessive material in the rear end so I may be able to lighten it somewhat with some careful planning, just take a look at these extracts from the plans. As a general rule it appears that all sheet covering for wings, tail and fuselage is 3/32" balsa sheet.

image.thumb.png.80072903c055ba177c541d23380a5ec3.png

image.thumb.png.0334aea7a92b05a8d4c7e26436c37338.png

The other thing that I want to change is the wing, it is approximately 86" long and is one piece so transporting and storing will be a pain so I'm thinking of splitting it into a central panel (the 'gull') and two outer panels and before you suggest it I'm not going to have folding wings! My thoughts are as shown in the attached 

image.thumb.png.7d874808d8998ff032150688218fae92.png

I would really welcome comments and ideas from you guys about the above points I have raised. I should add that the partly built bit is the wing which, as far as I can make out, is 90% built but I'm not concerned about taking a saw to it!!

• Like 2

Advert

This is going to be great to follow Ron. I have read heaps of threads on a variety of Corsair builds including the GS Too Flite offering. Well done for finding one btw as they are pretty rare. Be interested to know what retracts have been fitted or which you will need to get.  Rotary Laser 100% but the Flat or V 360 would both be good. What is the estimated auw?

There certainly is a lot of balsa and ply up at the tail end so I am sure this could be sensibly reduced. I have B Taylors plans for his 82 inch Corsair so will dig them out and get some photos of the tail end for you. Also both my Sea Fury and FW 190 are not dissimilar  sizes so can also get some pics of these plans too. The Fw190 also has fabric covered elevators like the Corsair.

The full size Corsair had fabric covered outer wings top and bottom, elevator. ailerons and rudder were also fabric covered. The fuselage was quite smooth as the skins were mostly spot welded to the frames.

I recon splitting the wing will be fine. The Flair Bristol fighter I am fixing up has had its one piece wings split into three parts with carbon tubes through the centre sections locating in tubes in the wings.

BRISTOL fighter.JPG

It has the specific Robart air retracts with it Nick, not yet fitted, so I'm pleased about that! A radial just has to be the ideal choice but, for me, I want it to be a Laser so if that won't happen then it will be the 360V as I prefer the sound of the Vs to the Last flat twins.

If you can get some shots of those plans that would be good as it may give me some ideas of where to lose some weight, at the moment I'm thinking of either built up tail feathers with Solartex (I think I've got enough) covering or Depron core / sheet covered. For the fuselage maybe going for 1/16" sheet rather than 3/32", not sure how much that will save but will check when I get the box back home. I also think that the fuselage tail structure, in particular around the tailwheel can be simplified and weight savings made there. I also read a report where it was suggested that shear webs should be added to the outer wing sections as there's a lot of area there.

24 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

I recon splitting the wing will be fine.

Thanks JD8. My concern is that as it's a gull wing then the wing tubes would not be continuous and due to the angles involved the inboard sections could end up being only 5" long. Is that sufficient? obviously the locating tube (carbon) would be well bonded to the laminated spar but its size and position are somewhat governed by the retracts and their recess in the main laminated spar.

image.thumb.png.f518b00fa24d2bfb81b00095ee14e56c.png

Of course an alternative to the CF wing tube could be an aluminium or laminated ply 'tongue' spar fitting into ply boxes in the outer wing panels, much like I've got in my Dane RC Leprechaun.

IMG_5771.thumb.jpeg.b273236e7a1300d38c1ea3e6b4184710.jpeg

The following photo is taken from Dane RC's build instructions and shows the ply joiner box.

image.thumb.png.237b1e71ca6371fd2c6de2da1c3b365e.png

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

Here are a few photos of the example at Yeovilton. The restoration to its end of service condition is superb and really evokes the raw purpose of such a unique fighter. Rib tapes and stitching in abundance (stitches all in line with ribs as per the Fw 190 I am doing).  Imo if you go for 1/16 on the fuselage you will need great accuracy on the formers to avoid  a starved horse appearance. Personally I would stick with 3/32 and sand the tail end thoroughly. Obviously hard to judge when you have got it thin enough but the shape will be better. 

image.thumb.jpeg.262ff7ba11da16937585b0e27a03010d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5d25ea315d41169f64861add32af27f1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab679576b07dbd2b1451692da2c11e50.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3585a9b17676d414c27e91181328c4a1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.30b7da52a035303c081c8781188485a3.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the photos Nick, it’s a nice example.

Just looked through the build instructions and have seen that the whole fuselage gets covered in 1/8” sheeting, not 3/32”, a lot of sanding required!

Edited by Ron Gray

First two picture’s are BT’s 82” Corsair. 2nd two are the Vailly 92” Fw190 and the last plan picture is the tail end of the Bates 82” Sea Fury. I didn’t photograph the tailplane as it is fully sheeted. The book is a walkaround publication for which I also have one for the Fw190 in the same series and has been invaluable. If you can’t find a copy let me know and I can lend it. Apologies for folded/scrumpled images. image.thumb.jpeg.bd5e26f50394b8c24f964d60204c94f7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e865d759bdbf19521f3147b37bf9f5c0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d4122069ca57ee3b8a1d2032f5c25b36.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.84ca0c15f0467aa41a7eb2c7d4725270.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.375172d158af58f78e3dd31a87ebca6b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f1a2a9369607e8fc3d83f914522fea3b.jpeg

Hi Ron,

this is my Black Widow wing join  ( Built by Kevin Branch) the tube exposed is 5.25"x1" and the piano wire is 2.25" x 2mm diam. sliding fit  in a brass tube, the outer wing panel is 24" long and is held in place with a small ST. once together it is very strong. 

I think if you went for the largest diameter tube you could fit to clear the U/C leg it would be ok.

Do you intend to leave the centre wing panel attached to the fuselage for transportation? it saves a lot of setting up when only the ailerons and flaps have to be connected.

I would be wary of using 1/16" balsa for the fuselage, done it once looked like a starved horse.

Eric.

20220703_204012[284]Black Widow wing join.jpg

Edited by Eric Robson

Thanks Eric, that is very similar to the way in which the outer panels are fixed to the the centre section wing panel on my ESM Tigercat but until I get the Corsair kit back here I won't know what diameter tube I can fit into the centre section and how deep in it will go.

After Nick's observation of the starved horse look I think you guys are right in that I shouldn't go with 1/16" sheet on the fuse. I could either use 3/32" or 1/8" and be prepared to do a lot of sanding.