Dave Boddington Astro Hog 58” wingspan.

Tom Flynn 1

Hi all

as kits for a Hog are no longer available, I was looking at the plan for the DB 40 size engine model.

Has anyone out there built one, or experience of the model.

The great man knew his stuff, so I was thinking of giving it a bash.

But I need some idea of what I am taking on.

thank

Tom

It was in Radio Modeller Jan 1985.   (  I have sent you a Personal Message about this )

I think it was a scaled down version with some updated ( to 1980's standard) modifications.  Plan should be available from Sarik Hobbies.    Or the original size plan is on Outerzone and could be printed at a reduced size if required.   

I've got an original Flair kit Hog with an OS55AX up front, it's a delightful flier, touch and goes are so easy it feels like cheating.

Couple of club members also have the slightly smaller one (with a 40) and the Dancing Wings little electric one, they all fly lovely.

Mines done so much flying I'm probably going to have to recover it this winter.

I jealous Frank, I had a lovely Flair Hog, with a Magnum .61 up front, and someone at the field said how much do you want for it, and I sold it.

Thinking of course I could always go out and buy another one. But you are happy flying what you have and before you know it Flair had gone.

I see one guy on BMFA selling one for £225, out of m bracket I’m afraid. But the .40 looked interesting, hence this forum.

Kits for the Astro Hog are available in USA.  Sig price is 163 dollars but of course postage VAT and duty will add a fair bit.  Considering the size & current price of balsa that doesn't seem too bad.  Sarik want 16 pound for just the plan!  Tower Hobby say they will be in stock in Sept.

Personally I would just put the outerzone plan on a memory stick and take it round to a copy shop and have it printed at 80 percent then see what changes Boddo made and just build that!    I would guess there is 70 or 80 pounds worth of balsa and ply in a 58 inch model which puts the imported kits in a better light.

Of course there is also Harry Gilkes Mini Astro Hog ( sometimes called Baby Astro Hog ) on Outerzone at 42 inch span.

Hi KC 

I have already been onto the Sig site, in fact I have one stuck in the trolley. ( just can’t convince myself to hit the buy button again)

As I bought one from them about 12 years ago just as flair went under.

the shipping was bad enough, but I got hit with Vat as well. Sussex model’s couldn’t get stock back then, the same as of today, from talking to Sussex recently Sig have told them they will not sell in bulk to the UK for the foreseeable future.

what I found on building was the poor quality of wood.

I built one side of the wing from their sheeting, then the other. When I joined them one side was 

a lot heavier than the other.

Also some of the wood had been crushed during shipping, and the box had been damaged. I was in contact with Sig regularly after I placed the order, and they were great. The moment I complained, it was like talking to British Gas, no body would answer me. Hence the reluctance to repeat the adventure.

But I built it, it flew OK, but after all the faffing about I didn’t love it. It went on EBay in the end, and it sold OK.

So I’m in a quandary as to the way forward on this one.

Have you considered downloading OZ plan & the SIG instructions then using the two in conjunction to build a version simplified with some features updated to suits yourself. As examples my choice would be to use modern type hinges, two servos on inset ailerons & tail dragger U/C.   

Edited by PatMc