Am I imagining it?

David Holland 2

I am scratching an itch. A couple of weeks ago, on a lovely flying day, one of the guys was ambling around the sky with a Super Sixty and I just had to have one. I must have built half a dozen in the 60 odd years I’ve been building model aircraft and, thanks to the combined talents of Visa, Colin Buckle and Parcelforce, I now have a nearly completed fuselage on my work bench. I am planning on covering the airframe with laminating film and then some fine fabric which I think is somehow connected to ladies underpinnings. To get to the point (at last I hear you say), am I right in thinking that PVA or Aliphatic will act as a heat activated adhesive if applied and allowed to dry? As always, I appreciate the wisdom and experience of the forum. Many thanks in anticipation.

David

Don, that sounds interesting. I have just thrown a new pot of Balsaloc in the bin as it had solidified and could not be used to stick my Litespan covering anymore. I could not find a shop that still sells it.

I did a search for Impex glues, and found that there are several types. The only one that mentioned ironing is the HT-1500 "Fray Stop", is that the one you have used?

Max.

Edited by Max Z

Sorry Max, I have looked on line and I can’t find it now, and the stuff I have is no longer in original bottle (usual cap welded on, broke cap, decant content.)

I think Balsaloc is still available from Solarfilm.

ps, I keep this sort of stuff in the fridge, stores better.

• 2 months later...

I use Impex. Available in all good haberdashery shops and here

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/impex-hi-tack-no-sew-fabric-glue-60ml/5672141000.html

Works like balsaloc. Nice applicator bottle or sponge on for larger areas. I also have used PVA diluted a bit and sponged on to balsa sheeted surfaces which helps lam film or other films adhere.

For polyester lining fabric onto laminating film I use dope. Stick edges then heat shrink the polyester then dope. Takes just one coat due to the lam film being non porous.

I covered the airframe with laminating film and then the thin synthetic fabric applied with water based varnish, pva allowed to dry and stuck down with the covering iron on the overlaps. Worked a treat and cheap as chips, 5 yards of the fabric about 4ft wide cost a tenner. Looks appropriate on a vintage type model or a scale model of a fabric covered prototype. I’ll post a picture when finished.

• Like 1