Andy Conway PSS BAe Hawk T1 the ideal starter PSS model

Phil Beard

Wing has been glass clothed on both upper and lower wing surfaces. Just waiting for the upper surface to dry and excess cloth will then be removed.

Next step is to apply the Freddie Mix which is a mixture of floor varnish a light filler and a good shake of talc and some paint to give a contrasting colour. This mixed well into a paste and add some water until it's like pouring cream and this should then be able to be painted on and will flow into the weave. Then once dry sand it flat.

Have to say I've never made or used this stuff yet so it'll be my first time when I do this so I'll try it first on an elevator. Plus I've no idea why it's called the Freddie mix, but that's what the PSSA guys call it.

IMG_3013.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back after a week and a bit without posting, been busy on full size aircraft.

Today I decided I better start looking at making the Freddie Mix which is used to fill the weave left in the glass cloth.

The Freddie Mix is made up of equal volumes of floor varnish and light filler. A good shake of talc and some paint to give it a contrasting colour. Mix well into a paste and add water  until it's like pouring cream. You should be able to paint it on and it will flow into the weave.

Tried it initially on my Sabre tailplane and if it works ok I'll let you know and then proceed to use on the BAe Hawk.

Picture shows the various items I used for the Freddie Mix in the foreground.

IMG_3020.JPG

Well what I used previously did work very well as the Freddie Mix I was informed by the PSS guys that i should use lightweight filler instead of the Micro Balloons. Good news is that lightweight fillers is substantially cheaper. See photo for ingredients.

I've now applied the Freddie Mix to the bottom wing surface and also a photo of the Sabre tailplane which once sanded is as smooth as a baby's bum.

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just added pieces of balsa wood to either side of the fuselage to act as rails for the bottom of the cockpit to sit on and mount the pilots onto.

Also started to build a housing for the battery to sit upright into which will be glued onto the aft side of F1. Note the battery will not be accessible once the cockpit floor has been glued in place. Also put at front in an upright position so as to give maximum fwd mass to reduce any extra that maybe need at the front once aircraft is completed and C.G. position being fixed.

IMG_3025.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

• Like 1

Phil,

Have you thought about the sequence of glassing?  I'd only just noticed that your fuselage isn't glassed yet - it may throw up some "challenges" whilst glassing having a populated cockpit area.  Typically (at least from my experience) you'd want a glassed and primed fuselage before the cockpit fitout and canopy fixing.

Andy nothing is glued down yet and is only trial fitted including the canopy which has been cut to size and trial fit.

Fuselage will be fully glassed before the cockpit is populated and the canopy will only be fitted once the fuselage is fully primed and awaiting the top coat to go on.

Thank you for the challenge as it's good for external people like yourself to guide me.

• Like 2