OS Max 15 LA help please

Tim Donald

I have this OS Max 15LA that is supposedly brand new and never run.  When I turn it over there is click as the piston gets to the top (just before the compression pop).  See attached video. Is this normal?  My other two stroke doesn't do it and I can't remember any of my old ones doing it back when I was all glow fuel.  If it's not normal,  any suggestions as to what could  cause it?  Does it with the plug in or removed. 

Thanks.

Thank you David,  I don't think it's prop driver.  It does it when that is removed.  I have been told by somebody that used to sell these engines that it is as Dave Windymiller suggest - just the piston being tight at the top due to the engine being new.  Normal apparently for ABC engines.

Not sure why that happens with the video JD8.  I can go to my attachments and download it but not from the post.  Maybe it's too big (but it's under the size that it said was the maximum).  

See the manufacturer's instructions "Engine construction" box on page 1 that makes a statement about the tightness at tdc.  The running in procedure is on the second page. Must admit, I usually do the first 4 or 5 runs on the test bench, however stick exactly to the recommended throttle and needle positions. The old softly-softly running in procedures of ferrous pistons and cylinders are to be forgotten as it's important to get heat in to these to expand the cylinder liner.

https://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/line_up/engine/air/aircraft/manual/15_25la_eg.pdf

• Like 1

• As per Graham Bowers post 👍 .It's perfectly normal for ABC type engines to be tight at TDC, something would be wrong if it wasn't.  Run it in in short bursts tuning it to run at high revs but but just slightly rich, not max revs but near  to max .Run for a couple of minutes to allow it to get up to max temp then stop it and allow it to cool down fully . Repeat process a few times but don't run it at low revs yet or you risk damaging the con rod or crank . After a few cycles of running and cooling tune for slow running as well then put in airframe and fly it. Use a good quality synthetic based fuel. Once the tightness over tdc eases its run in  . Even when run in you should still feel a slight tightness at tdc.

Unlike older generation engines the modern engine of this construction doesn't take very long to run in .

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1