Middle Phase Glider Fuselage - Laminated Ply/Balsa

I have seen mention of making new, stronger sides for a MF kit fuselage (or other similar models) from laminated balsa & ply. The new sides were single piece panels, rather than using the two-piece sides supplied in the kit.  I think this followed a previous recommendation. 

I assume 1/16 ply would have been used, possibly with 3/32 balsa. Does anyone recall the thread and am I the right track in terms of wood sizing ?

It could have been my thread on RC Groups?

The ply was 1/32" and so was the balsa. I think the main idea was just to save weight, my original Middle Phase was crashed many times but the ply sides never broke.

I ran into slight trouble when sanding where there were areas of poor glue coverage in the lamination, I was just a bit stingy with the glue!

I can back-up Gary's recommendation for 1/32 ply. I built Sean Bannister's original Algebra from the RCM&E plan, which had the entire fuselage made from 1/32" ply with 1/8" square spruce longerons and cross-pieces. It suffered many hard arrivals and nose-first impacts without a scratch - the ground always came off worst! I still have it, some 40 years later.

+1 for a Sean Bannister 'Algebra' - Mine was from a commercial kit. (Was it Ripmax?)

Conventional tail, not the 'V-tail' version. Veneer covered foam wings, ply fuz as stated.

Also, I had fitted a nicely moulded Radio Sailplanes releasable tow hook to mine, remember them(?)

Shared Uxbridge Common Sports field with Sean back in the 70s when he was (test?) flying it.

I was flying a free-flight Keil-Kraft 'Caprice' with D/T and fairing pretty well against the 'heavier' R/C model launched off a bungee.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I have been trying to remember the glider I had as a teenager - around 1980. I think it was an Algebra (2m or 2.5m) with veneered foam wings, box section ply fuselage, 2 channel rc with servos side-by-side under a ply cover. It was bought as a kit and the fuselage seemed wider, ~80mm from memory, than any pictures on the internet. Conventional tail. Would just like to know if this makes sense: unfortunately plane is long gone now! Thanks.

Dick Edmonds Algebra kits were available with optional moulded glass fibre or with ply fuselages for construction by the purchaser in a variety of sizes over several years. IIRC the first kits were the 2m span as published by RCM&E with option of FG or ply fus.

However there previously were a number of earlier version Algebra kits & semi kits. I have a semi kit of the Algebra VIII with FG fuselage & veneered foam wings (112" I think).

Not sure what you mean by "conventional tail" but there were "V", "X" & "T" tail versions. IIRC "V" tail had separate elevators whilst the others were AMT.

The 2m as published had a very slim fus with 2 servos mounted in line.

Here's a link to plans available via OZ to a couple of early RCM&E plan versions plus a later electric version that I'm not familiar with.

Edited by PatMc