Max thrust Double Trouble Biplane

Low pass Pete

Hi there all

Has anyone built a Max Thrust Double Trouble.  If so what power Plant did you use IC or Electric.  I have been given one as a birthday present and I am considering what to fit.

The battery bay seems small for a 4S let alone a 5S battery as well as to house the ESC.  Any suggestions or advice on this would be appreciated.

An OS46 would look to be a simple fit but would require inverted mount.

Thanks in advance

LPP

Advert

Mine was powered by an SC46, went really well, I say went really well it was a review model and after a few months flying the socks off it it I passed it onto a club mate, who lost orientation a couple of weeks after acquiring it............. If I didn't already have several other biplanes I would have kept it.

The only thing to watch, and I mentioned this in the review, was fitting the cowl, with the SC 46 there was barely enough room for the cowl retaining screws and I ended up adding some blocks rather than screwing it to the fuselage sides. Oh and ignore the instructions on the closed loop which show you finishing it off at the servo end, you'll never be able to do that, best to do the final crimps at the rudder horns, outside the model.

• 5 months later...

Now re-engined my Double Trouble.  Out has come the 'becoming unreliable' SC70 (it IS over 30 years old!) and has been replaced by a new OS 46 two stroke.  Whilst it doesn't sound as nice, the added reliability has shot this plane to the top end of my list of favourites - it's an excellent combination that fits in the car fully assembled, making it ideal for grabbing a quick fix.  I can add the cowl now as well.

Having dipped my toe into the two-stroke world again, I'm also replacing the 60 FS in my Ruckus with with a new engine - his time a Force 46........ should be lighter than my four stroke, so I should be able to remove the tail weight.  Also hoping I can remove the OBG and battery I found necessary to achieve a low enough idle to slow it down for landing...... more weight saved.

Well, I did tell my wife "no more new planes this year", but said nothing about engines!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one with a view to installing electric power. I went as far as buying the recommended motor and a couple of 4 s batteries, but in the end, couldn’t work out a way to install them, with the ESC, and get any sort of cooling. If the fuselage can be modified by making the tank/battery compartment floor removable, to install the ESC, perhaps holes in the bulkhead for cooling, it might work. Would like to see more photos of the electric prototype to see how they did it.

in the end, I chickened out and put in an old OS 46, no issues.