Fw Ta 152

david tilbury

Been busy with other things so haven't done anything on the Ta for a few days but made a start on one of those jobs i've been putting off.....sheeting the top mid section of the 3 piece wing at the front......made a insert panel first which is now under the 

area where the fillet will be.....about 35mm wide...this gave me something to key the light ply wing seat too and the top balsa sheet......made the sheeting in sections to accommodate the double curvature around the leading edge
angle which has a blister above it, shown on the plastic model i have......have to think about how to make these.

m_P1150641.jpg

m_P1150642.jpg

m_P1150643.jpg

m_P1150644.jpg

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 3

Thanks Martian.......:-)

So......all 114"....smiley4.gifsmiley4.gif.....sanded the tail edge....top surface flush.....still leading edge to solve once i've sorted the underside sheeting......tip now shaped to suit aileron.....

More work on the flaps this week.....also had some ideas on the wing fillet and how to progress.....

Cheers

m_P1150645.jpg

m_P1150647.jpg

m_P1150648.jpg

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

closed off the rear decks of the underside of the wing......now working on the wheel bay/retract area....cut and soaked some light ply...pinned until dry.....then glued.....what is a slight problem is the rib over the wheel bay.....at the moment it's slightly high so giving a bulge which isn't what the plastic kit does......now this maybe clearance for the oleo leg......but until the light ply has dry i won't know.....but i have cut an insert just in case in the void of the rib...

All servo leads/servos are in place

The final part will be making a drawing of the wheel bay/retract cut-out......i also need to make some glass fairings before cutting.

m_P1170124.jpg

m_P1170126.jpg

m_P1170127.jpg

m_P1170128.jpg

m_P1170129.jpg

m_P1170130.jpg

Edited by david tilbury

How is the weight looking?

A couple of days ago, a 1/5 Dave Anderson Ta 152 tip stalled turning to finals, and crashed, in Finland.

The guy said that weight was around 5 kg, and he might have been at a little low airspeed. Cannot completely rule out technical failure, though.

At least this one, apparently, had the same wing profile from root to tip, and some smarter guys say that then even washout might not help to avoid tip stall. Reynolds numbers and such.

Thanks Ron....:-)

Thanks Nick.....:-)

Hi perttime.......not sure if it was a 1:5 scale.....they all come out around the 12kg.....24-26lb mark.....unless he got the weight wrong....it does have the same wing profile from root to tip and with washout

My 1:5 scale D9 fly's very slow. you could almost run and catch it...lol.....my A8 at 1:5 scale isn't.....it's heavier around the 29lb mark but saying that if fly's really well....the video's i've seen at 1:5 scale of the Ta show it flying really well.....a guy in Spain who i know say's it's he's best flying plane......not sure what happened with the one in Finland

cheers 

So after some minor changes to the 2D drawing of the doors/strut fairings I now have something i can use......was also helpful having one of my old Sist 1:5 scale 190 doors/fairings...not the same as the Ta but for size helped no end.

Next will be glue the ply in place......first just correct the inner door brace, needs adjusting to the new drawing.

m_P1170133.jpg

m_P1170134.jpg

Edited by david tilbury

18 hours ago, david tilbury said:

Hi perttime.......not sure if it was a 1:5 scale.....they all come out around the 12kg.....24-26lb mark.....unless he got the weight wrong....it does have the same wing profile from root to tip and with washout

Sorry. Looks like I got the weight of the crashed one wrong, reading his text too quickly. He was vague about the weight but, apparently, well over 12 kg. Over 13 kg, if I read correctly now. Being over-weight certainly didn't help.

edit:

Edited by perttime
  • Sad 2

However something fell off at 1.44 and fluttered down which has not been mentioned - must have been there for some reason and the issue with flight only occurred at the next banked turn. If it had been the right aileron the up going left one would have rolled it in ? - Only a thought and a real shame to see so much effort come to such a sad end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Made the blanks for the main doors and inner doors.....opted for the sellotape route as my release agent from the wing......the one difference from the full size is the straight section of the door should be flat but mine follows the curve of the wing section.....still debating whether to make the door all in one section or like the full size in 2 parts so made some extra straight section. 

Also i'm thinking the doors don't sit over the wheel but like the Fw 190....sit slightly inboard like below.

Any ideas would be welcome.....

cheers

m_DSC_0042.jpg

m_DSC_0046.jpg

m_P1170144.jpg

Edited by david tilbury

If you make the cover in one piece Dave, won’t the top chop into the wing skin when the leg compresses?  

I used a length of piano wire sliding into a brass tube for my gear covers with the upper part passing over the lower when compressed. Pretty sure I added some pictures on my build log. It’s hidden behind the strut so doesn’t spoil the scale appearance and works a treat. Also the cover parts are bolted through short lengths of compressed fuel tubing onto the strut collars. Makes fine adjustment for a flush fit easier and provides shock absorbency against the inevitable knocks.

• Like 1

Hi Nick, yes you are right.....i've seen some guy's do one door but i'll be doing the same as my Sist 190's...2 parts....i'll take a look at your thread and see how you have done it...all the best

Before finally cutting out the wheel wells i thought about how the retract unit was going to be removed for maintenance/installation and another hatch would be needed, so quickly made 2 sections and right and left that will cover this, both my Sist 190's have something similar.

Once the unit and legs are in place i will work out the final door/hatch shapes

m_P1170147.jpg

m_P1170148.jpg

Edited by david tilbury