Motor Shaft

Nigel Heather

Just bought my very first electric motor, an Overlander Tornado Thumper, I say first because all the rest have been included as part of an ARTF, so this is the first one that I have independently selected and purchased.

What puzzles me is - why does the shaft stick out the back - I get that the prop adaptor bolts to the front of the case which rotates, so I can see that it will work.  I have also looked at other alternatives that I considered and they are exactly the same.

So why does the shaft protrude out the back?

Cheers,

Nigel

Don't know whythey are like that,  but the shaft can be left as is and project into fuselage if surrounded by some wood to protect Lipo impaling itself in a crash.   Others wrap the motor in polythene and masking tape and cut off excess shaft with a Dremel and cutting disc.   Easier to buy Turnigy etc rather than Overlander or 4 Max to get front shaft as standard.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, kc said:

Don't know whythey are like that,  but the shaft can be left as is and project into fuselage if surrounded by some wood to protect Lipo impaling itself in a crash.   Others wrap the motor in polythene and masking tape and cut off excess shaft with a Dremel and cutting disc.   Easier to buy Turnigy etc rather than Overlander or 4 Max to get front shaft as standard.

Thanks, I was originally looking at the 4-Max, that has the shaft protruding out the rear too, though I note that you can buy a collect type prop adaptor as an extra so maybe you can take t(e motor apart and fit the shaft so that it protrudes out the front.

Might have a look at the Turnigy offerings - as you say, I don’t like the shaft sticking out into the battery compartment.

Nigel,

It is exactly as you have surmised.

You can mount the motor with the motor in front of the firewall and use the supplied adaptor which bolts onto the metal rotating can - use threadlock on the motor mount and prop adaptor bolts.

Or the motor can be fitted behind the firewall with the shaft sticking out and the prop mounted via a collet type adaptor.

Depends on the aircraft it is being fitted to. My gliders normally have the latter while my planes the former method is predominant.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andy Gates said:

Nigel,

It is exactly as you have surmised.

You can mount the motor with the motor in front of the firewall and use the supplied adaptor which bolts onto the metal rotating can - use threadlock on the motor mount and prop adaptor bolts.

Or the motor can be fitted behind the firewall with the shaft sticking out and the prop mounted via a collet type adaptor.

Depends on the aircraft it is being fitted to. My gliders normally have the latter while my planes the former method is predominant.

Thanks, I wasn’t thinking logically - didn’t occur to me to fit the mount on the front of the plane.

There is also another solution - I usually mount the Lipo on a liteply plate and for one motor which had the shaft projecting rearwards I cut a slot in the ply and arranged it so the ply plate was exactly at a height to match the motor shaft.   Therefore the motor shaft was protected from the Lipo ( & vice versa ) and only needed another bit of wood over the shaft to ensure wires etc didn't rub on the shaft.