Ballerina Plan - Sarik Plan better than 2015 free RCM&E Plan ?

Andy-H

Morning. I’m contemplating building a Ballerina as my first attempt at building from a plan. I’ve sourced a copy of the Dec2015 issue of RCM&E with the original article and free Plan, for background info. I’ll need a copy of the plan to work from, either copying the free plan or buying a new plan from Sarik.

Is the Sarik plan any improvement on the original free plan ? I’ve seen the occasional reference to slight changes to free plans being made after publication. If no improvement, I’ll scan the free plan or have it copied locally.

Thanks for your help

Andy

Based on my recent purchase of the Sarik plan of Oodalally it is exactly the same as the original one from the magazine so no need to buy another.  The only slight advantage is that the Sari plan is on two sheets rather than  one on the back of the other but as you will be getting your magazine plan copied this will not be an issue

Andy - there are some notes about the Ballerina plan here which shows the free plan has tiny errors which have probably never been corrected on the Sarik plan.   ( errors are not Peter's but occurred somewhere in the re- drawing)  It's mainly about the wing dowel.  Loads of people built this model without problems so don't worry.

You should follow Peter's wing building sequence.   This is important because placing the LE and TE  lower sheeting down first gives clearance for the wing ribs and makes it as easy as building a flat bottmed wing.  ( same applies to many recent Peter Miller designs )

You can find a material list here and I think it's fairly comprehensive, but buy a bit extra to be safe.

If it's your first plan build (or even your hundredth!)  ask on the forum if anything is not clear  and no doubt someone will help.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

Thanks Kevin, build notes most helpful - I did wonder about the formers >4” so your notes have already settled that one for me. You’ve also saved me a bunch of time on working out build quantities, which is great so thanks again.. 
Andy

A great plane, and flys really well.

mine is a bit tatty now, I have changed the position of the engine 3 times

now it is at 45 degree’s and I’m happy with it.

The plan and the write up seemed to cover the build very well.

I keep thinking of building another, except I have a couple of kits to finish off and at my age 

“Time is NOT on my side”

I keep getting that look when I’m seen with sheets of wood.