Carbon undercarriage flexing

I have a Pilot-RC Laser 67" which has a fixed carbon undercarriage.  I have noticed that one of the legs flexes substantially more then the other.  If I gently push down on the fuselage it tilts quite a lot to the side of the weaker leg.  I have gone over it with a fine tooth combe but can't see any signs of damage or cracks so I'm not sure if it has always been like it or if it does have damage that can't be seen.  The plane has only flown a few times and never crashed but I've always had problems with the landings - it has been very difficult to get a clean landing without bouncing - something I don't have a problem with on any other models of a similar style.  I'm wondering if the undercarriage may be causing me the problems.

Anyway - just wondering if anybody has had similar problems,  if I can stiffen up the weak side somehow (fibreglass ?) or if anybody can recommend a decent replacement that doesn't cost the earth.   

Thanks.

Advert

Double check the softer side to check that there is  no delamination, I've seen this many times and have had the same problems with the Pilot Rc gear caused by delamination , if this is the case it can be repaired, you need to flex the U/C  and view from the side, if its badly delaminated you will also feel it, It can be repaired quite easily if this is the case, ( Its standard pilot RC quality control  that's bits fall off and fail and I sell the gear and use it myself.) If it is delaminated I can repair it for you for the cost of postage, Replacement wise there is not a lot of choice , Do not touch Carbon Copy  as its worse than Pilot Gear. if no luck finding a fault, message me and Ill give you my phone number.

Edited by Jason Channing

Thanks Jason,  that is very kind of you.  I will take it off and check it for delamination tonight.  I was half thinking about fibre glassing over it as I've done quite a bit of that over the years but not got much experience with carbon.  I would rather sacrifice a bit of weight for extra strength.

Hi Jason,  you were right - there is some delamination on the shoulder of the undercarriage - just at the front.  Pic attached.  Do you think I could flex it so that it opens a bit then fill it with thin CA?  I don't think I would be able to get much epoxy in as the gap is so small.  I could also fibreglass bandage the shoulders and top of the flat bit if the CA didn't seem strong enough.  To be honest - I'm not bothered what it looks like,  just want it functional and strong so that I can fly it.

IMG_5035.JPEG

Tim, Jason has offered to fix it for post cost. That’s a bargain. Cyano won’t work for that job. I use ProSkin, (Mick Reeves, epoxy sheet), and he uses cyano to bond sheets together. Strong but rigid, and shatters on impacts. No flex.

• Like 1

Epoxy will not wick into the joint as the gap will only be 10 maybe 20 thou but it can be repaired, if you call message me I can do it for you or send you the Kevlar I use to repair it FOC. My son Jack tests my repairs for me and they seem to hold up. Send me a PM and give me your address and ill have the required materials out first close post.

• Like 1

I have used Hobby King carbon undercarriages on my 2 mtr F3A birds and they are both excellent and relatively cheap.  Just type in "F3A carbon fibre landing gear" into the Hobby King search box and you will find a range from 50 to 160 size.  The 50 size is £12.57 plus shipping and the 160 size is £34.93 plus shipping.

They are not as light as Falcon u/c but a darn sight cheaper and stronger.  They have a degree of flex in them that helps to cushion a less than smooth arrival.  Falcon's tend to be a bit brittle at times!

• Like 1