My hobbyzone Carbon Cub S2 1.3m BNF Basic Trainer Build

toto

That sounds like AS3X doing it's stuff - it's purpose is to react to unwanted movement not caused by the pilot.

SAFE is designed to limit the effect of planned, pilot induced movement.  So, for example, in beginner mode, you may only be able to induce a bank of 30degrees, however much you push the aileron stick.  In expert mode, it'd have no limits so you could roll the aeroplane.

On some Spektrum kit, whether AS3X is active or not depends on how you bind the transmitter and receiver................. SAFE would typically be on a multi-position switch.  I'm no longer a Spektrum user so can't help any further I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Advert

I'm not sure about this particular model / setup, but when I first set up my old Apprentice (with AS3X/SAFE) I experienced similar and found that the 'Panic' button was operating in the wrong sense, which over rode everything else. Reversed the button within the transmitter setup, and all was well. 

Worth a look, at least

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've somewhat abandoned this thread of late and need to get back on track. I will look to take up where I left off which goes back to binding and setting up the basic settings. 

The Cub had taken the back seat in favour of my Beaver assembly which has been, to all intents and purposes completed with its maiden now well and truly under its belt. 

I have a few irons in the fire right now between a few transmitter setting tasks to clear up, some sub-standard wheel fixing bolts on the Beaver to replace and some " shed renovations " to get done to accomodate model storage.

I'll hopefully fit in the next few steps in getting the Carbon Cub up and running for the first time and having it " passed Off " for inclusion into the serviceable models department for my training activities.

So, bare with me over the next couple of days whilst I juggle my various tasks.

Cheers for now

Toto

On 23/04/2023 at 10:40, toto said:

Yes,

I was tuning into that idea already. For example the throttle kill switch and having the on/ off positions standard across the kits.

Fight mode beginner / intermediate and advanced is one that is very relative to me at the moment.

There are many functions I'm trying to get my head around at the moment, especially when folks talk about mixing functions with say ... the rudder if you understand what I'm trying to say. I need to understand the principle and effect it has on controlling the model. It takes a bit of time to understand and sink in.

Cheers

Toto

As a beginner to computer radios myself, I think you may be making things too complicated for yourself. You need to get just one model set up and learn to fly with it. Just the basics, controls orientated, fail safe, how to range check, etc, and learn to fly it.  Set up a second plane as you go to use it, and store the memories of each model one by one as you need them (don't forget to clearly identify each model in your memory).

I just think this will keep your head clearer for learning the actual flying bit- you'll have a lot to think about when learning in the air as you don't have a lot of time to correct when you see something going wrong.

And I am one of those people who are ambivalent about SAFE. My personal view is that it is a hinderance. I have limited experience of it (just on a HZ Cub), but it makes me think I have lost control of the plane (in a sense, I have, of course). 

But don't be guided by me, you have advice here and an instructor!

No worries Paul,

I will be using the Beaver as my main if not only my only trainer. It was bought after the cub after realising the benefit of its size to see in the air. 

I'm only really completing the cub at the moment due to the fact I had already started it. 

As far as some of the more advanced mixing of controls and such goes, I agree, I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself. However, it's so easy to get drawn in ad one thing seems to automatically have you reaching for another. It's fair to say I need to be reigned in now and again.

How contagious is this hobby.....

Cheers

Toto