My hobbyzone Carbon Cub S2 1.3m BNF Basic Trainer Build

toto

Hi there,

I know I'm just in the door but even as a beginner I thought I might as well record my first attempt at building my first kit no matter how basic. This post will follow the ( what should be ) a simple build of an ARTF Hobbyzone Carbon Cub S2 1.3m BNF Basic kit.

Now, there may be a few groans from the seasoned modellers and flyers but as a complete newbie myself, I know that this is the kind of thread that other newbies will look for on joining.

I have just bought two trainer kits. This one, and a Seagull Cessna Turbo Skyline 182 ARTF.

The latter was my first purchase a few days ago as I like the more traditional balsa kits and after looking at it, feel that I am capable of having a go at building this. It gives a bit more involvement in servo and linkage geometry than that of the Carbon Cub and It will certainly take more build time to build. The Carbon Cub was an attempt to get something that would get me airborne and training as quickly as possible.

I have watched a " how to " on this model on Utube and to he honest, think it's pretty straight forward with the exception of one seemingly know trait of this kit.

Apparently ...... the bagging and tagging of some of the smaller components ( we are specifically talking screws here ). Is a bit abysmal and needs a bit of " self logic / investigation ".

I ordered this kit today from Elite Models and based on their pretty good delivery times experienced on other items ordered so far, guesstimate taking delivery of the kit by midweek. I am also awaiting delivery of a couple of suitable batteries and Pectrun NX6 and other odds and ends this week as well.

My intention would be to start and complete the build by next weekend ( delivery dependant ). I'd say that the build will take me half a day giving time for identification of said screws and a general familiarisation etc. I may he proven wrong.

I still have to look into the exercise of safely charging the Lipo batteries for the first time and getting my head around the pairing of the receiver to the transmitter. 

Apart from thatc...... its childs play .... after all ...... I'll be crying inconsolably like a spoilt child if it all goes belly up. ..... literally.

So ..... fasten yourself into your ejector seats for what could he better comedy than a box set collection of on the buses.

I hope it entertains.

Toto

• Like 1

Advert

Thank you kind Sir.

I think you will find that I am a bit of a " warts and all " poster. If there is a mistake to be made ...... I'll show it. 

If you've never made a mistake ..... you've never made anything.

I must admit though ..... on this kit ..... apart from the misinterpretion the identification of the potentially shodily identified screws ( I say potential as this may have been either a one off kit or has been rectified ). It looks like you really cant go wrong.

The video I watched did not go into neutralising the servos prior to use but assuming this may have been done, or is capable of being done given their already installed position, the worst that can happen is that they may just need to be trimmed from the TX. I'd rather have the opportunity to get the alignment as true as possible prior to taking to the air though.

Again, thanks for your blessing :classic_biggrin:

Kind regards

Toto

It's funny how some of these out the box set up videos seem to gloss over these steps. 

I remember a servo set up video I seen showing the servo horns being taken off and being "  reinstalled " to achieve a 90 degree angle to the direction of travel but ..... reversing ..... could you expand on that please. Maybe the terminology is catching me out here. 

Many thanks

Toto

If, for example, you put in 'up' elevator on the transmitter, but the servo provides 'down' elevator, it's reversed. Can be rectified in one of 2 ways:

1. At the servo - remove the servo arm, then replace with it 180 degrees change (you need to be careful this doesn't spoil the geometry of the control linkage..)

2. At the transmitter - usually easiest solution

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am doing a tidy up in the shed over the weekend. I'm looking to make some reasonable working space again. The shed has become a bit of a " catch all " since just before last winter. My Indian Scout Bobber motorcycle has been stored in there overthe winter and other things have just been placed in storage there as well.

When tidy, it offers a pretty good workshop area kitted out with a whole host of tools etc. The bike is going up for sale shortly as I dont really get out on it as often as I would like and to justify the cost of keeping it on the road.

I need to thin out some of the things I've collected over the years and get my space back. So fingers crossed I can free the space and start my build. I have already advised of my absence from the flying field this weekend to give myself some decent time to get this moving.

Cant wait to get started.

Toto 

• Like 1

I've been looking through the destructions for this kit and it seems very easy. So much so that I reckon that not only will I be able to get the assembly done quite quickly bit I should be able to connect up the various control elements and test all servos , controller etc is working.

I'll just clarify .... I have no intention of making it airborne.  I just want to see that all the bits and pieces are talking to each other and all control surfaces and throttle etc work as they should.

I have never as much as switched my TX on yet or charged a battery so I still have to charge these things for the first time and try and bind my kit to the transmitter.

When i test all the system for the first time, i will remember to uninstall the prop. 

Once I see that all is working, I will reconnect the prop after shutting the system back down. 

Once I have done this, is it safe to leave the battery in the model for now ( but disconnected, or should I take it out altogether and discharge back down to a storage level ? 

Likewise my transmitter battery. Is this ok to leave fully charged but obviously switched off ?

Many thanks

Toto

Cheers,

It's likely to be longer than that before they go into use. I'll be in training mode for some time on the club trainer  I'd think. I'm just keen to start building. Maybe I'd be better resisting the temptation to build this until I am a bit closer to flying solo. Then at least I'm not messing around charging and discharging.

Decisions decisions. :classic_wacko:

Toto

You can test out all the flight controls and motor with a battery at storage charge, there is no need to charge it and just testing out servo's and motor rotation especially without a prop will take virtually nothing out of the battery unless you leave it connected for hours on end, just test with the battery as it is.

What about the transmitter. Does that usually come partially charged ? 

I've opened the box but haven't even attempted to switch it on. I think it would be ok to give that a charge. 

As I said, it would just need enough power to switch on, initialize for the first time and test the servos out. I can only try.

Cheers

Toto

OK ....... a step closer today.

I managed to tidy out the shed to resemble what looks like more of a workshop again. It's amazing how your acquired belongings " creep " after a while. Some of this is now gone.

I like to keep various workspaces separate to deal with certain tasks. I have a wet area for working with plaster and the likes, an area for balsa wood and foam, and a general area for bringing things together. Work top tools get moved about to suit. Proxxon foam cutter, bench drill, mini table saw, soldering stations, dremel etc etc. Its worked well in the past for my O Gauge railway modelling. 

I will be revisiting the shed tonight as I've still got various smaller area's to tidy up as well. My motorcycle will be going to the dealers over the next week or so with the intention of letting it go. So I wont have to store that in the shed any more ad it's a pain manoeuvring it in and out every time I want working space ....... soon to be a thing of the past. Its 3 years old now and I never keep them much beyond this age.

Anyway, this post has strayed a bit but I just thought I'd include a little on the workshop / mancave as you will probably see a bit more of it in my kit build progress photographs in the future. Hope I've not bored the teeth out of you all.

Cheers for now

Toto

Back in the shed tonight as I have received my PC monitor wall bracket. I like having my PC handy when I am watching some of the handy UTube  how to videos.

My carbon club may be getting pressed into operation due to a change in training instructor. I still have a bit more general tidying to go so I'll get things hopefully closer to a finished state tonight.

Happy days.

Toto

• Like 1

OK,

as promised, the shed tidying is more or less over and I have some working space. I am using this post to try and post up some images for the first time on the forum so here are a couple of general shots of inside my shed. Just a trial really before I start on my cub build. feel free to switch off if you like .......😊

first up ..... a picture of my beloved ..... soon to be sold ...... Bobber ..... here goes

P1100673.thumb.JPG.91e0cc07fe87bfe816a87fe20c393abd.JPG

next a bit of an idea as to one of the work areas .....

P1100674.thumb.JPG.3b4e7cf42a8a2ccf8072053e29b3e647.JPG

and another ..... with some goodies in view .......

P1100675.thumb.JPG.76635736a0652e0b869db3d3e6d5b5f2.JPG

and one more for the time being ..........

P1100677.thumb.JPG.6bead074ee157c7f7a2ba889226f4f09.JPG

now .... the bike will soon be history. its 3 year old now and I have had my fun with it. once it is away, the shed space opens up so much more for available space.

i'm just about to hit the post button for this so fingers crossed it works out. 

I'll get some thread relevant content on hear over the weekend.

cheers for now.

toto

• Like 1

So ... we are all set for tomorrow. 

Domestic duties first.... a trip to Asda with the other half to do the weekly shop for both our mumsies  and then the day is mine.

Take the bike out of the shed then crack open the carbon cub. A sedate beginning for a newbie / first time but this will hopefully get me broken in to working generally with this medium before progressing onto more involved builds. It will also get me used to inputting into the transmitter, albeit the initial setting up has already been done for the cub by my mentor.

I cant really get too carried away with builds until the bike has gone and the shed is freed up a bit more but the cub will be followed on in reasonably quick succession by an FMS Beaver which arrives early next week. These are the two models that will be used for initial training and probably beyond.

I'm looking forward to finally getting my hands dirty.

I'll post up my progress tomorrow, all going to plan. The cub should not take long recall as there is not much to it. The longest part will be general familiarisation and identification of the parts, screws etc.

So .... cheers for now and I'll catch up tomorrow with camera in hand.

Toto

Hi Trevor,

I think the after could be quite frightening. The shed may need to be enlarged. I am working on a new internal plan to re- arrange the inside of the shed to allow for better storage of the models when hot in use. There is no way they can remain built. Maybe one or two ar a time without completely crowding the shed out.

Initially, it will have to do which is fine when I'm in training mode but once I'm competent enough to start flying some of the more challenging models, there will need to be change.

I currently have two sheds, a smaller one for general domestic stuff. I'm thinking of getting shot of both in favour of a much bigger and secure large version. I already have the missus  blessing. :classic_biggrin: that's for a bit further down the road once my pocket recovers a bit.

Cheers

Toto

Good afternoon ......... and welcome to ....... My shed.

today, I have the very great pleasure in finally getting started with my Hobbyzone carbon Cub build ....... terrrraaaaa.

and here it is ....

P1100678.thumb.JPG.09d2c8650d38c81db31ed91d6ce8e0d6.JPG

and the boxed bits ....

P1100679.thumb.JPG.1c647f6fb2ba732505bfc02726acb12c.JPG

and just to give you a little idea of how I work ...... 

P1100680.thumb.JPG.0e729cd89701270e3f46eeda5e6fe36a.JPG

I have the trusty rather dated laptop which I use for all things shed and hobby related. 

I like to have this on hand to allow me to watch internet build threads and the like. I will also be registering my transmitter with Spektrum at some point today to get the latest software updates installed to the transmitter. I watched a Utube video on this last night and was suitably confused so that may take a little time with a notepad and paper as I go through the routine again. 

However, for now, I will start the build which looks relatively simple and post a few progress pictures up from time to time to let you see how I am getting along. I will also try and remember to add a suitable narrative, especially at any point where I have been struggling etc. I freely admit upfront to being a bit of a technophobe so for any beginners out there who maybe watching this ...... here is the general rule ........ If I can do it ....... you can do it.

I hope you enjoy my journey. i will post pretty frequently as I manage each element of the build complete with the images where I remember.

cheers for now .... be back soon.

toto