Ripley Laser 200 kit

Don Fry

I’ve acquired a kit of one of these. Very nice Kit, very fine glass fibre fus and cowl, foam wings. It’s approximately 75 inches in span when it’s done.

Seems complete, inc instructions. No where can I find any reference to what sort of Engines were fitted into these things.

I guess it’s gonna be a 150 to 200 size. Anyone got any experience of these things.

Advert

The Ripley kit was a Zimbabwe Model Products kit, the instructions were very basic. From what I recall they were mainly for the ST 2000 to 2500 size as options were not that many in the 90's when these kits were made. The flew very well if kept light. I recall adds in one of the old mags, I will see if I can find one.  

That size of Super Tiger were pre Snurl Port  motors in those days?

I have run a tape measure over the aircraft and it’s got a 79 inch span, which makes it 1.2 times the wing area of the Lanier example.

So, three ways I get an answer of a Laser 150 or a 160, that will sort the problem out. 

1.2×120 size 4 stroke comes to roughly 150.

I think a Laser 150ish engine matches a ST 2500?

I have a XtraWot, remembered it’s there today,(busy at the moment). It’s a similar size and that goes on the the Laser 150 on the original design.

Does that sound sensible. A cockup if not the end of the world as the cowl is big and accessible after installation, so I can change engines if needed,without excessive cowl chopping.

If you are trying to say that the ST2000/2500 type motors were not Schnuerle ported and therefore lacked power, then that's not correct. They used Super Tigre's own variation on Schnuerle. That is, the transfer ports are arranged either side of the exhaust Port, as set out by Herr Schnuerle, but ST also used a pair of boost ports immediately opposite the exhaust as well. 

OK Alan, I don’t take a lot of interest in engines. As long as it behaves itself, and keeps doing so.
I based it on a big UgliStik a mate had, ST 2000,  and it was swapped out for my modern ASP 120 two-stroke. Different league and performance with a new engine with unlimited verticals. 

Cheers Chris, 6.4 kilo aircraft, heavier than suspected. 
I think that’s  might be too much to ask for 150, and have performance. Martins’ suggestion of the flat twin 200 seems good except, I don’t own one.

(get thee behind me, Satan)

I’m on the road in the UK the next 10 days. When I get home, I think I’ll have a little bit of a measure up and see if the laser 180 will fit in sideways otherwise I’m gonna have to start saving my pennies.

45 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Petrol ?

No, this is right at the top end of the sizes I want to fly. I have tried petrol engines and find them hard work, and I just find glow plugs just easier. And the extra fuel costs are minimal. Bone idle really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Martins’ suggestion of the flat twin 200 seems good except, I don’t own one.

(get thee behind me, Satan)

I’m on the road in the UK the next 10 days. When I get home, I think I’ll have a little bit of a measure up and see if the laser 180 will fit in sideways otherwise I’m gonna have to start saving my pennies.

Anywhere near Hemel Hempstead?  👹

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Engines scale by the cube of the size don, all other things being equal. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 gives 1.33.

That said with 14lb end result I think the 180 or 200 four stroke sounds more right. 

Quite right. I did the job at 7:30 yesterday morning and I wasn’t very awake.