Acrwot Chris foss kit, electric conversion ?

Hi there 

Just been to my local model shop and talking to the chaps there, they were sure that it was possible to convert an acrowot kit to electric power. I’m quite taken by the thought, but on the website there only seems to be conversions for the wot 4 and the uno wot. Has anybody successfully converted the model, and if so what were the components required / used, I.e motor battery, and of course how these were fitted around the original kit.

Thanks 

Steve  

Have you tried to download the manual for the ARTF version, which can be either IC or neutron powered?   Hatch under the front fus behind cowl, battery strapped to a tray which is secured at the cowl end with a nylon bolt.   Mine flies 5S.

The ARTF has an electrical conversion kit, tray, hatch, standoffs etc and buying one of those might be a start.   4 Max can specify motor, esc, prop etc.

BTC

You might like to see this brilliant electric TWIN-MOTOR Acrowot conversion by Derek Latimer of the Dumfries Model Flying Club.  He's also adapted it to fly offwheels or floats.    There is a video of the maiden flights of this model in the Featured Models album of our club website, here ....

https://dmfc.org.uk/galleries/video

or on YouTube here ....

https://youtu.be/EZqRvh4HDGs

• 2 months later...
On 22/04/2023 at 20:47, Bruce Collinson said:

Have you tried to download the manual for the ARTF version, which can be either IC or neutron powered?   Hatch under the front fus behind cowl, battery strapped to a tray which is secured at the cowl end with a nylon bolt.   Mine flies 5S.

The ARTF has an electrical conversion kit, tray, hatch, standoffs etc and buying one of those might be a start.   4 Max can specify motor, esc, prop etc.

BTC

I'm in the process of converting an early ARTF Acrowot to electric. Unfortunately the conversion pack seems to be unavailable... Done suppose anyone has dimensions/tracings of the bits that make up the battery tray?

On 23/04/2023 at 13:41, Romeo Whisky said:

You might like to see this brilliant electric TWIN-MOTOR Acrowot conversion by Derek Latimer of the Dumfries Model Flying Club.  He's also adapted it to fly offwheels or floats.    There is a video of the maiden flights of this model in the Featured Models album of our club website, here ....

https://dmfc.org.uk/galleries/video

or on YouTube here ....

https://youtu.be/EZqRvh4HDGs

Very nice - does it still do the characteristic Acrowot "full left rudder bunt" with a twin motor setup?!

Possible explanation from the (now defunct) RCMF forum...

"The fishtailing is the result of having a flat-plate fin, which has a low lift-slope (and a bit of hysteresis) at low angles of attack. The yaw-pitch coupling is the result of unequal keel areas above an below the tailplane, so that when it's yawed there is a "pressure trap" under the out-slip side (right-hand-side if yawed left) underneath the tailplane but not above it. It's a well-documented phenomenon and was potentially lethal on certain full-size aircraft. The Miles Magister couldn't be side-slipped because large law angles produced a nose-down pitch that was so powerful a 150lb pull on the stick wouldn't correct it. The primary function of the large fin-strakes you see on a lot of full-size aircraft is to correct a problem of this nature which wasn't discovered until flight testing.

As to why it occurs to one side but not the other it's probably something to do with the fin blanking some spiral propeller slipstream effects. To prove this see if it behaves the differently power-off to power on, but at similar airspeeds."

Edited by MattyB