New radio conundrum

fly boy3

Hi all, at last have joined 21st century and bought 2.4 gear and a used electric plane , my first. Considering that both are new to me, I am thinking of putting my trusty 35 mhz receiver in to the model and using my Futaba tranny for maiden flight. Would the voltage from the esc be suitable for Fut. receiver, or should I use a separate receiver battery.  Thanks

Welcome Alfred.

I would not use your Futaba 35 mHz gear as there might be issues with glitching from the electric motor operation.  2.4 gHz is "immune" to electrical noise generated by electric motors.  Many motors will not, therefore, have any electrical noise suppressing capacitors fitted.  IMHO most 2.4 GHz equipment is bullet proof.  It is also immune to being shot down.  You will not be worried by setting up the 2.4 stuff other than the need to turn down the Tx power for the range check.  Depending on what make your 2,4 kit is, and if you have any manuals for the Tx, it is usually quite easy to do if you know the procedure.  Post what make of 2.4 you are using and if you need to help in how to do the range check.  Other than that, it's exactly the same as with 35 mHz kit but may have a few more bells and whistles in what it can do.

I still use 35 for some aircraft, just can not be bothered to change them and I like using my Futaba FF7 transmitter.

Two aircraft are electric and neither have ever had any glitching issues and have been in use many years.

Both are however powered by brushless motors which do not have the arcing/sparking electric noise issues on brushed motors.

SAM_1389.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Peter for really interesting information I was unaware of. Due to m y age and budget I purchased a FlySkyi6 after some internet research. It has no system for range check , other than 2 people with mobile phones  at a distance from each other lol. I could have a bit of practice with my new radio gear before deciding which to use.  Thank you.

Hi Alfred, I'm with JD 8 regarding 35 Meg V 2.4 Gig, though since you now have 2.4 gear why not use it ? I would, even if only to obviate the chance ( albeit small chance) of a frequency clash.

Had a quick google for the Eflite Cherub details - AFAICS it hasn't been on sale for quite some time but when it was it had a brushed motor installed. It would be worth checking if yours still has or has been upgraded. In case you are not aware - the quick way would be to check if the motor/esc connection is 2 wire (brushed 👎) or 3 wire (brushless 👍)

• Like 1

Alfred

A brushed motor is much more likely to give interference problems particularly in the condenser fitted across the +/- motor terminals is old.

As stated 2.4 gear is almost immune to brushed motor interference.

My first foam plane had a brushed motor and to be fair it gave no problem even on 35 Meg however driven from a 3 cell 11.1V LiPo rather than its original 9.6 volt NiMh battery the motor brushes didn't last very long.

Replaced by a brushless motor with its appropriate speed controller. It gave more power, was electrically more efficient and only 50% of the weight. That brushless motor is still going strong 12 years on as apart from the shaft ball bearings there is nothing else to wear out and it is still on 35 Meg.