Flying Aces Sportster

During Covid I decided to build this 1930 s model. Now practically completed. A SC 30 four stroke for power. I have just realised that I can only fit a tiny Slec square tank for fuel and wondered how much flying time this set up will give me. I also wondered if I converted it to electrics , would I have any longer time in the air.  Thanks.  ps, plane will be flown sedately lol.

For years, I used a SLEC 'blue' in an OS40FS-powered J60.  Flown sedately (1/4 to 1/3 throttle) I used to get 20-25 minutes.

I've had the FA Sportster plan for some time and intend to use a Saito 30FS in it - with a SLEC 'bue' tank 🙂

Edited by Mike T
sp.

I've used SLEC Blue 4oz tank with OS25 2st's and get plenty of time so as the others have already said, that tank will be fine for a 30 4st. This thread is interesting as I have a SC30 4st NIB and have been wondering what would be a suitable plane for it. Peter Miller's original Peggy Sue looks a bit a bit of a handful for me flying wise, whereas this one looks good - interesting build and sedate flier. Have you any build photo's to post? Hopefully you'll give us a flight report.

I compete in a daft French competition for a three channel trainer called "La Coupe Des Barons." I use a Thunder Tiger 54 in my entry and have been carrying out some fuel consumption tests because the flying rounds in the competition are timed to last for five minutes. Even using a 90cc tank I can get at least eight minutes flying flat out. 90cc is just over 3fluid ozs. With your SLEC blue tank and much smaller engine you should manage at least fifteen minutes flying sedately.

Thanks, just wanted that little push to use the ic job.  This model looks beautiful and different. An easy build except the fitting of the wings. This entails tubes in the wings that slides on to rods fitted to the fus.  No big problem but fiddly. LoL. Thanks