A bigger Depron Skyray

The existing, for time being, XPS Skyray has reasonably scale proportions except it has over size inlets.

01Sep22.JPG.9b7c2274486c4a7ba50596f4040f1866.JPG

A feature required by the 3x4 three blade prop inside the fuselage.

In reality the inlets are quite small.

Inlets.jpg.94da322dccd183430a9a1df245b60301.jpg

So I wondered if I made a bigger but little or no heavier airframe I could transpose everything over from the smaller Skyray and keep scale inlets.

This process would have the advantage that I would not "gain" another plane as I have simply run out of storage space!

My idea is to use 3mm Depron rather than the 5 mm XPS which would go some way to limiting the weight of the larger airframe

After doing some sums I decided that a 36" span would be big enough to achieve what I was after. It would represent a 138% increase over the 26" span of the XPS Skyray and giving it nearly twice its wing area.

The 36" Skyray is going to have to be built 'light'.

First job is the duct. As the motor and prop are right at the back there is only an inlet duct.

Printed in 8 sections using LW-PLA, single wall & 'vase' printed'. The parts are designed to fit each other and are simply glued together.

The new duct along side the the 26" Skyray for size comparison.

Duct1.JPG.29ddcaac0155218a44576a06a66e5e38.JPG

The bifurcated inlet is lofted to give a smooth changing profile, The duct weighs 36g.

So far so good.

• Like 1

The fuselage which includes the wing roots is built around the the virtually full length inlet duct.

Each formers are divided along the centre line and has to be carefully fitted so when glued in it fully supports the duct but does not distort it.

FuseForms2F.JPG.eeb7b64822eae35e80a9062bc04e5737.JPG

Definitely "building in Depron" using techniques not that dissimilar to balsa.😉

In this state it is fairly delicate. Only when the Depron skin is complete does it become a full monocoque structure. In needs no further reinforcing.

The large holes are not just for lightening (actually they only save 2.5g!) but should allow the aileron servo wires to be installed through to the cockpit area even when the skin is complete.

Still some way to go.

• Like 6

Adding the 3mm Depron skin panels to the fuselage underside.

Loads of pins!

LoadsaPins.JPG.432c4feadbc62575c26f39184c73eceb.JPG

By hand forming the skin panels it is possible to get them to fit close enough over the frame that simple pins hold the joint surfaces in place over the formers. At least in Depron they are easy to push in. The holes that are left are so small even alight paint coat completely covers them.  

Note the ends of each panel only cover half the former to give the end sections a surface to start from.

The more complex shapes of the end sections will require multiple narrower 'planks' but the forming and pinning process is the same.

So far it certainly feels light. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Eric

I am using Technicqll. It does not work as a contact adhesive like POR does but in 24 hours is does dry rock hard so unlike POR a Depron joint can be sanded smooth using 120 grit paper.

A useful feature on a planked double curved surface.😉    

Which one in their range are you using Simon, i has a quick look and nothing jumped out as a possible?

martin

Its in the yellow 70 ml tubes. Polyvinyl Adhesive. Foam safe

This Ebay supplier is the cheapest for two tubes.

As I have observed before it costs as much as the foam 😲 but fortunately you don't use that much doing simple joints so the weight penalty is very modest.

If the joint surfaces are in really close contact and the glue is fully hard the joint is a strong as the foam so a simple 'edge to edge' butt joint is as a good as a single piece. The down side is once fully set you can't get it apart again without damage.

I have been "saved" many times by being able to 'prise apart' a POR joint even after several days.😉      

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

martin

Its in the yellow 70 ml tubes. Polyvinyl Adhesive. Foam safe

This Ebay supplier is the cheapest for two tubes.

As I have observed before it costs as much as the foam 😲 but fortunately you don't use that much doing simple joints so the weight penalty is very modest.

If the joint surfaces are in really close contact and the glue is fully hard the joint is a strong as the foam so a simple 'edge to edge' butt joint is as a good as a single piece. The down side is once fully set you can't get it apart again without damage.

I have been "saved" many times by being able to 'prise apart' a POR joint even after several days.😉      

Thanks Simon,  I was going to ask you which type, but I've had a  busy morning. 

The fuselage underside is fully skinned as well as the more complex planking around the air intakes.

MorePins.JPG.9cbbde5e6ccff8d19f40264a1c8721f3.JPG

Lots of pins again!

it is getting to the point where the EDF (actually its a quad motor and 3" prop) needs to cut out of the small Skyray and installed at the back of the 36" Skyray fuselage.

• Like 4

The quad motor, printed mount and 3x4.5 three blade prop extracted from the small Skyray.

3x45out.JPG.344c1d19dde2a509d30d21cb010116f6.JPG

Glued onto the end of the bigger Depron Skyray duct.

3x45in1.JPG.18a0f4cf0085c725b5b7e5f38488f765.JPG

The duct is the same diameter on both the Skyrays but on the bigger one the inlet and exhausts are scale size.

3x45in2.JPG.5efd2563e72d37c020a0dc3d444b498e.JPG

The top skin is also complete as far as possible to allow access to run the motor and elevon wires.

Once the motor is tested in situ (always test at every stage!) the next task is to build the nose/cockpit section.

• Like 1

A bit more progress.

The fin, top skin and printed cockpit framing added. The ESC and Rx transferred from the small Skyray installed.

FinOn1.JPG.5e061f5ed143b76876557b2a74b060ef.JPG

Note the solid 'magnet' wires passing through the formers from the ESC to the motor right at the back. For the same amp capacity they as about half the weight of the normal multi strand silicone insulated wire.

637328331_RxESC.JPG.b66e85f24076548afda5285bd705496f.JPG

Yes its a 35 meg Rx!😲

Its long aerial passes down the fuselage spine and up the fin. It can easily be withdrawn should I want change it over to 2.4.

Time to start on the wings.    

• Like 5

Yes. A fingered heat sink like that, particularly in the airstream can dissipate many times the heat of a flat plate. On a cold day directly after the flight the heat sink is cold to the touch. Of course Depron is a wonderful insulator and with little or no air movement things inside the cockpit warm up quite quickly.  

The wing construction is a bit unusual, just top and bottom skins and shear webs. All in 3mm Depron. The wing section itself is entirely controlled by the shear web's dimensions.

First the leading edge shear web.

Wing1.JPG.e863b65017df21ccc815770ee78c7018.JPG

The actual leading edge will be 6mm Depron glued on and sanded to profile.

All six shear webs.

Wing2.JPG.125148f090977e8780d6853a03a6b162.JPG

The 6th shear web carries the elevon.

The top skin glued in place and the 6 mm leading edge added.

Wing3.JPG.8d4deab58035b068c9000216539d2fa8.JPG

The forces required to bend the skin meant it was a two stage process. Simple weights could be use for the skin over shear webs 2 to 6.

Only when that was fully set (24 hours) could the skin be brought on lo the leading edge web and be held in place with many spring clamps.

This type of construction does rely on the glue drying truly rock hard, foam safe Technicqll in this case.

The bare wing weighs 31.2 g. 

The servo and elevon will be fitted before the wing is attached to the fuselage.

The other wing is WIP.  

• Like 4

MattyB

Nothing fancy just a series of paint brushes. As the artists brushes in particular are very soft I do thin the emulsion a bit with water.

The painting now more or less complete. The inlets will have red edges.

Complete1.JPG.14709d82fce1a1533536ff3bc5d8527c.JPG 

The decals are next to go on and I am also waiting for some small magnets to secure the rear of the cockpit.

It weighs 530g (18.5 oz) with a 1500mAh 3s. It has a wing area of 6.06 sqft giving a wing loading of just 3.03 oz/sqft.

• Like 5

MattyB

The smaller version had just over twice the wing loading. Still quite modest but then a delta will always have a lower than normal wing loading.

My reason for building the bigger one was more for 'appearance' by using light weight and a small fan to allow scale size inlets.

However I do fear the power to weight ratio of the big one will be a bit low.

An underpowered delta is risky as although the lift remains over a wide range of AoA the drag rises very quickly. With insufficient 'spare' thrust even a gentle manoeuvre can cause it to simply stop flying.

We shall see.😉 

Well it does fly, just about, but it is seriously underpowered.

The flight was limited to just a circuit and a ridiculously slow into wind glide landing all done on the basis of "quit whilst you are ahead".

The ESC will have to changed to allow a 4s battery. Some surgery will be required to do this on an otherwise undamaged just finished plane. 😟

Such is life.