Is 8 minutes a day sufficient time to practise?

paul devereux

2 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Sure... now, once you're going up and down in one piece... then make your landings:

more accurate

deadstick

crosswind

"a bit more scale like"

do touch and goes

spot landing on a target

eliminate bouncing

touch tail wheel down first / roll along on the back wheels of your trike gear

sideslip the approach

do small landing circuits

do large realistic landing circuit

get a model with flaps or spoilers or brakes - and use them

take off, fly an entire circuit at head height, before landing on the same circuit

take off into immediately pulling a stall turn, exit stall turn into immediate landing

take off into a half loop, fly inverted past the strip, complete the loop and immediately land

just some ideas 🙂

Good ideas, thanks! In fact, enough ideas to last me a year or so! Stall turn and flying inverted is what I need to learn to do anyway never mind landing. The forecast says this wind will abate by the weekend so I can get some more practise in. Dead-stick, - I guess you mean from some altitude as I close the throttle before touch down anyway?

I just saw this on YT while browsing landing:

Advert

2 hours ago, paul devereux said:

Dead-stick, - I guess you mean from some altitude as I close the throttle before touch down anyway?

Exactly. The challenge is then to get the landing circuit / approach correct - first time - with no power to 'fix' things, either by a quick burst of throttle if you are coming up short, or by going around if you are a bit high at the threshold.

12 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Exactly. The challenge is then to get the landing circuit / approach correct - first time - with no power to 'fix' things, either by a quick burst of throttle if you are coming up short, or by going around if you are a bit high at the threshold.

3 hours ago, paul devereux said:

Good ideas, thanks! In fact, enough ideas to last me a year or so! Stall turn and flying inverted is what I need to learn to do anyway never mind landing. The forecast says this wind will abate by the weekend so I can get some more practise in. Dead-stick, - I guess you mean from some altitude as I close the throttle before touch down anyway?

The bit on dead sticks in the BMFA A-test may be instructive regarding what to do and how to practice...

(Achievement scheme homepage is here, worth a bookmark)

5 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Try that with ic dead stick is dead stick, stopped engine, one chance only thats how I did mine , may have changed now.

Edited by Learner
Change

Good ideas for making flying more structured, thanks all. I have been sort of trying to fly the criteria for A and B already (though I'm no where near there). What I have been doing is, doing stuff like rolling vertically and cutting the throttle, then recovering so that I get used to the odd orientation the plane is in- though I dare say it shouldn't really be in an odd orientation, it should be under control.

I have had to practise spot landings because I'm flying from a quite restricted area.

• Like 2

If you're aiming to achieve the manoeuvres in the B test I'd highly recommend getting a copy of @Peter Jenkins book on Precision Aerobatics for beginners and improvers. It's an absolute mine of good information and without wishing to blow too much smoke in Peter's general direction, is in my opinion, one of the best books I've bought about anything, ever. Don't be put off by the "precision aerobatics" nomenclature. Much of the content is as applicable to sport flying as it is to competition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

If you're aiming to achieve the manoeuvres in the B test I'd highly recommend getting a copy of @Peter Jenkins book on Precision Aerobatics for beginners and improvers. It's an absolute mine of good information and without wishing to blow too much smoke in Peter's general direction, is in my opinion, one of the best books I've bought about anything, ever. Don't be put off by the "precision aerobatics" nomenclature. Much of the content is as applicable to sport flying as it is to competition.

Couldn't agree more, a great book which has given me structure and a focus on how to improve my flying. 👍