Boddington Tabloid on Salvage Hunters

Advert

2 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

What do you think it might be worth? I thought from you initial post that he would be lucky to get £400.

A lot less than £400! Second hand is only worth what people will pay, so whilst there may be an enthusiast/idiot/collector of things  with money to burn, anything more than £150 on an airframe that old - regardless of the restoration- is throwing money at a probable crash. It's more of a display piece now, which is where Pritchards expertise lies, which is probably why he finished on £2k - £2.5k (if that was his actual assessment and not the producers spinning it - tv is all lies).

12 minutes ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

A lot less than £400! Second hand is only worth what people will pay, so whilst there may be an enthusiast/idiot/collector of things  with money to burn, anything more than £150 on an airframe that old - regardless of the restoration- is throwing money at a probable crash. It's more of a display piece now, which is where Pritchards expertise lies, which is probably why he finished on £2k - £2.5k (if that was his actual assessment and not the producers spinning it - tv is all lies).

I thought a lot less than £400 too! You are right, reality TV is hokum.  Kits are most valuable when they are unbuilt anyway-though some have value as museum or display pieces.

The valuation that Drew Pritchard placed on the model was nothing to do with selling it to a model flyer or even to a model collector. His target market is trendy bars, shops, restaurants etc, where the model would undoubtedly be hung for display, possibly as part of a theme. That's how he can make significant profit on selling an old worn out machinist's stool, or half a dozen industrial light fittings from an abandoned warehouse for hundreds of pounds. It's certainly within the realms of possibility that such an establishment would be willing to splurge a grand on such a display piece.

• Thanks 2

If Drew Pritchard says it worth "x" £'s on telly  then many antique dealers and hoarders will think its really worth that ! Emporers suit of clothes ?

Didnt the ending show it flying  and that the restore didnt want yo part with it .

Just watched video again an Drew if your watching I have a few models if your interested 🙂.

Edited by Engine Doctor

1 hour ago, leccyflyer said:

The valuation that Drew Pritchard placed on the model was nothing to do with selling it to a model flyer or even to a model collector. His target market is trendy bars, shops, restaurants etc, where the model would undoubtedly be hung for display, possibly as part of a theme. That's how he can make significant profit on selling an old worn out machinist's stool, or half a dozen industrial light fittings from an abandoned warehouse for hundreds of pounds. It's certainly within the realms of possibility that such an establishment would be willing to splurge a grand on such a display piece.

I think a display model was the eventual fate of Greyhead's beautiful Elf. And a lot better built!:

I recall one of Henry Cole's 'Shed and Buried' programmes coming across an old R/C Hurricane - might have been a Mick Reeves. Apparently H's sidekick Sam Lovegrove dabbles a bit with R/C 'planes but didn't fancy having a go with something quite so advanced. I think they got one of the Avicraft lads to get it going and it flew very well.

I bet Boddo is spinning in his grave laughing.  I have huge respect for him because he was not only a prolific designer/editor etc but a thoroughly decent guy with absolutely no side at all!  I spoke to him at a few events and on one occasion it was he who started the conversation.  For him, aeromodelling was fun and getting oily and dirty part of it.