CY Models Me109

dave parnham

Then i started to realise that the Famous TJD display team use some of these kits so it must be ok? 

But there is nothing on the web anywhere that i could find about the quality of these kits or anybody that has built them save for one 9year old video on Youtube from i think Argentina or spain cant remember.

So why are there so few around ? Panic began to set in.

Big thanks to Bigplanes.nl for shipping so fast and so well packed too.

These are very similar to the old ESM/YT models and while i have only seen two in the flesh they seem to suffer similar issues.

Firstly, the wooden firewalls are rarely glued to the fibreglass that well and you may need to drill holes in the front so you can inject epoxy into the gaps. Depending on how bad it is, you may find it easier to pop the wood out, clean it all up, and go again with new glue. With that done more glass bandage round the edge to help tie it all together. 

I would also be cautious using the supplied wing dihedral brace and would inspect it and all glue joints where possible. Beyond that though they seem well made generally and while some are cartoon scale at best the 109 here looks pretty good. They have put a 109e paint job on a 109f airframe, but only nerds will notice and only rivet counters will care. It would benefit from some dirt and grime though for that war weary look. 

CY seem to be most confused by their engine recommendation with 50, 60, 80, 85 and 100 splattered all over the literature. I think it would be fine with 50-60cc myself and would aim for about 23lbs. My DB Hurricane is 23lbs, 88 inch and is very well powered by a 40cc Laser 240v so there is no need to go mad unless its mega heavy. 

How was shipping from bigplanes now with the customs? I assume the shipping now includes all the tax and its just a straight shot with no faffing about and powerwork?

• Like 1

It has a metal wing tube and large nylon threaded studs in the wings and its not a bad fit overall.

i was thinking at this stage a ply ring inside the fuse up against the firewall and maybe top and two side stringers in ply.

A triangle of wood at the base to the servo tray 

And tie the whole lot in with fibre glass.

Good shout about drilling holes and the epoxy though as well

Edited by dave parnham

Have seen one fly on youtube very well with an Evo 54 but they dont make those any more......measured up this morning and the dle65 is a lovely fit.

Yes i want to fly it as soon as possible but you know what its like, add guns to the empty nose cowling, remake the glass house with opening canopy full cockpit .....yes maybe later.

Weston Park for some fun and hopefully fresh epoxy glue and maybe a pilot?

5 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

How was shipping from bigplanes now with the customs? I assume the shipping now includes all the tax and its just a straight shot with no faffing about and powerwork?

809 euro for the kit plus quite a bit of shipping for DHL XL and it was delivered by UPS who also wanted a fee before delivery. Not cheap but i dont think it was all that bad either, just as i said earlier i had no idea what quality the kit was going to be.

All in all im very happy with it and looking forward to cracking on with servo install and horns etc.