Split

Advert

When I repaired my Wot 4 wing I used the foaming 'Hippo glue'. It is slightly thinner than the gloopy Gorilla glue so you can work it into the crack better. I then jigged the wing straight so that the expanding glue did not twist the wing. The Hippo Glue will fill any voids in the foam.

Tom

You could use epoxy, open the crack as you have it in the picture. Either syringe in some thin epoxy, or get some in with a lolly stick. Let the crack close onto the glue. Allow to go off then put a couple of slits across the repair and glue in either carbon strip, 1/6th ply, or indeed a couple of lolly sticks side ways on across the split for reinforcement. 

note: this can also be done with aliphatic resin or pva, but give it at least 24 hrs to dry if you use these. 

If it's EPP/EPO foam (as used in 99% of ARTF's nowadays) then ordinary cyno works fine - in fact better than foam safe. Foam safe is generally only needed for the depron or old expanded polystyrene (ceiling tile) types of foam. Just try with a small drop to check it does not dissolve the foam.

Edited by John Lee
  • Like 2

To reinforce this type of repair i use some 3 x 1 mm carbon strip. Very simple to fit. Just make a slit deep enough for the strip with a scalpel that goes a few  cm either side of repair then push in the strip an run thin cyno along it. Again only use thin cyano like Zap if it ok with the foam used. Other cyano glues seem to thick to run into  this sort of repair